Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 70D Making Movies

Good morning all,

I am trying to set up my 70D in prep to shoot a video of the Starling Murmuration in Brighton and found that the Auto Focus is not working as I move the cmara arund.
    It used to do so beautifully and smoothly.
    So I Google search to learn that "Movie Servo AF needs to be abled.
    But that's the problem. This option is greyed out and after toggling many options, I cannot get it to 'un-grey'
    Please can someone help me?
    Thank you Canon 70D.jpg

Some options only become available depending on the shooting mode you're in example - Av, Tv manual etc. try flicking through all your camera modes until it becomes available, it may be that this setting is only available in 1 or 2 shooting modes.

Also found this on how to set it up. This is for a 7D but set up might be the same

Setting Movie Servo AF When Movie Servo AF is set to [Enable] When Movie Servo AF is set to [Disable] When Movie Servo AF is set, the camera focuses on the ...
    Last edited by NathCarr91; 04-02-2024, 13:56.

Comment

I could be talking through backside but I lost my AF Servo when shooting stills, which I later found out was down to not having a lens that allowed enough light in.
      (That was when I found out my 100-400 F4-5 and a 2x converter don't go together!)

Take a look at what lens you have mounted while trying to set it up.

Comment

This may not be relevant to the 70D but on my 7D2 the menu does not show the Movie Servo AF option unless the movie switch is on before opening the menu.

Could it be that on the 70D the Movie Servo AF option is just greyed out when in photo mode, so I suggest turning the movie switch on before opening the menu and see how that works.

Comment

Originally posted by NathCarr91 View Post
          Some options only become available depending on the shooting mode you're in example - Av, Tv manual etc. try flicking through all your camera modes until it becomes available, it may be that this setting is only available in 1 or 2 shooting modes.

Also found this on how to set it up. This is for a 7D but set up might be the same

https://id.canon/id/support/8202199200#2
          Thank you so much Nath, I will try all your suggested ideas.
          It's really so annoying especially as u had it si easy before.
          Maybe taking it out of back button (which I decided I didnt like) could be a reason.
          I will let you all know when I solve it.
          Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by DEG5Y View Post
            I could be talking through backside but I lost my AF Servo when shooting stills, which I later found out was down to not having a lens that allowed enough light in.
            (That was when I found out my 100-400 F4-5 and a 2x converter don't go together!)

Take a look at what lens you have mounted while trying to set it up.
            Thank you for your thoughtful response. I am using the Canon 50mm lens so it shouldn't be a problem but I will try with another lens and in bright light to see if that'll help.

Thank you so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyelines View Post
              This may not be relevant to the 70D but on my 7D2 the menu does not show the Movie Servo AF option unless the movie switch is on before opening the menu.

Could it be that on the 70D the Movie Servo AF option is just greyed out when in photo mode, so I suggest turning the movie switch on before opening the menu and see how that works.
              Thank you so much for your suggestion.
              I have tried with the Movie switch on, and off, and on again. I also tried changing the modes, TV, AV etc and the various other AF modes but nothing.
              But I've had some excellent suggestions from all three of you so I'll try them out and hope we'll get the Movie AF working.
              Thank you very much.

Comment

Have a look here to see if this answers your question https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/ind...t&id=ART142077
                Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Thank you so much, I will keep that link for the future because have sorted it out. See my final comment.

Comment

Hello all,
                    Firstly, thank you all very much for all your advice and tips offered - I tried them all but none worked, so I took the bull by the horns and simply cleared "All Camera Settings" and bam - everything is back to normal and working.
                    Clearly it was some setting I had made buried deep somewhere in the Menu that is now released and 'gone'.
                    I will now update the "latest" 2019 firmware whilst I am at it and that should be that for now.

So once again, many many thanks to you all.
                    Dinah

Comment

Working...
                    X