Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightroom Classic sort by date?

Lightroom Classic sort by date?

In navigator, can you sort by current date?
    Like this:
    26/4/24
    25/4/24
    24/4/24
    23/4/24

And not
    1/3/24
    2/3/24
    2/4/24
    3/3/24

Ive tried a few view options, im sure im missing something! It works with the thumbnails but not the folders etc…
    Steve

We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns ;)

Flickr

EOS R, RF 24-105 L, 70D EF 18-55mm IS, EF 75-300mm, EF10-18mm IS STM & Nifty 50 STM.

I'm not sure you can Steve - I adopt the practice of saving my photos into my own desired file structure before importing to LR. This gives me the opportunity of naming folders by date if I need to and I have found it useful to use the YYYY_MM_DD format for those (i.e folder name would be 2024_03_28) since this displays them in increasing date order in both File Explorer and LR.

I don't see a way in LR of reversing that date order for folders as you seem to want to do.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thanks John. Ive got used to auto importing when I plug my camera into USB. Its not a huge problem but when ive a few days’ worth of images – they import all mixed up and you kind of have to remember what days you shot on, find the folders, hold CTRL and select them for import into LR etc.
      This isn’t the 1st time ive tried/ ill give up and try another method before the library expands.

Thanks
      Steve

Flickr

EOS R, RF 24-105 L, 70D EF 18-55mm IS, EF 75-300mm, EF10-18mm IS STM & Nifty 50 STM.

Comment

There's a couple of useful ebooks available via this website shown below, there's also an associated forum where you could ask your question.

Tips, Tutorials & Troubleshooting for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

Last edited by ST-EOS; 26-04-2024, 18:15.
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

I thought that by showing you my Lightroom Classic folder arrangements it may help you to decide how you want to structure your image filing arrangements/requirements. Hopefully my descriptions below are readable and make sense, Let my know if your require any clarification?

1. At the beginning of each year I create a folder within my top level images folder "My Image Vault"called "My Pictures x" where x is the new year. See red highlight in the following image.

LR-Capture.1JPG.jpg

2. So within my current year folder each time I import new images Lightroom creates a folder with the date that the images were captured or more than one day folder if I have captured images over a number of days without importing daily. This is shown in the the image below. After the import has completed I rename the date folder/s to add some word/s that reflect where the images were taken or the subject matter.

To do this is just a right click on the folder name and select the rename option from the drop down list. But you have to let the import complete before trying to rename the folder/s

LR-Capture2.jpg

2. When I import my new images from the card via a USB Card Reader the options for importing that I use are shown in the next image. The red lines show where I describe the choices I use on import.

You will notice that I rename the files on import to prefix the camera image filename with the date. I do this to overcome any potential for image numbering issues with the camera numbering beyond 9999 when the camera next image number may duplicate one that I have imported historically. i.e. I may have previously imported image number 0011 in 2007 but by renaming as shown the addition of the capture date prevents duplication within my Lightroom Catalogue.

LR-Capture3.jpg
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ST-EOS; 26-04-2024, 18:19.
          Peter

Feel free to browse my
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thanks for that Peter, well explained and I get it. I must try organise something similar.
            Steve

Flickr

Comment

Working...
            X