I need a big nay huge backpack - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a big nay huge backpack - help

Hope this the right location for this post to do with bags!

For last 3 years or so have been using the Lowepro Photo Trekker AW2 bag and it's been brilliant - never let me down - but it's now a tad on the small side and I find myself having to be selective with what I take out. Have 2 x Canon 1D bodies and a bunch of lenses - 500 f4, 300 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 24-105, 16-35 etc - and all the other bits and bobs that we tend to gather over the years. While it's a hell of a lot of gear to lug around there have been occasions where I've missed the shot because I'd left something in the car and I'd rather not have that happen again!

So question is - has anyone come across/used a big camera backpack - something along the lines of the Super Trekker in terms of size. Any experience/thoughts of course most welcome

Cheers in advance

Mark W

Re: I need a big nay huge backpack - help

I have seen at first-hand and sold the Lowepro Pro Trekker 600 AW.
    It is a very big but very secure and very well padded backpack.
    Internally it is 7cm wider, 4cm deeper and 6cm taller than the Photo Trekker.
    It is not a cheap backpack but you get what you pay for, £249.99 at Warehouse Express.

Lowepro Pro Trekker 600 AW
    It is 9cm shorter than the Super Trekker but 3cm deeper and better padded.

Hope it helps

Comment

Aye cheers Stephen - that's the other I'd been looking at and the sizing seems a bit more user-friendly than the super - though as am 6' 7" a tall backpack isn't a bad thing!

Comment

I've used a think Tank airport Accelleration V2 for the past 18 months, probably about the biggest backpack to comply with carry on sizes for air travel, if thats a consideration too. Thick padding and wide shoulder straps, very comfortable even loaded with 13 kg of gear

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

cheers Stan - never heard of them so am intrigued!

Comment

The link was to the manufacturers site but you can get them easily at a lot of places in UK see here

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
              I've used a think Tank airport Accelleration V2 for the past 18 months, probably about the biggest backpack to comply with carry on sizes for air travel, if thats a consideration too. Thick padding and wide shoulder straps, very comfortable even loaded with 13 kg of gear
              The Think Tank is approx the same size as Mark's Photo Trekker.
              45 cm x 31.5 cm x 17 cm (Think Tank) Vs 48.5 cm x 30.4 cm x 15 cm (Photo Trekker) (internal measurements) it loses 2cm in depth but gain only 3cm in height it's not really a larger backpack but is a nice case.

Comment

I have three 1 series bodies and a few more lenses and I have come to the conclusion that the best camera bag for all of that lot would be a landrover!

There is no perfect bag. If I have everything in one then I cant carry it any distance, so I tend to leave the big bag in the car (ThinkTank Airport Security II, or Lowepro Photo Trekker AWII) and decant from the car into a smaller bag.

More often than not I am shooting Wildlife, where I use the 300mm and 500mm on a Lowepro twin harness, with a couple of extenders in a pocket.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

You need a keen young person who is eager to learn photography. They can cart your kit.

I see folk in the hills with very large format as well as medium format cameras and tripods you could support a tank on ... and they seem to have an assistant carrying gear.

Not wishing to teach egg sucking ... but if you are carrying ca. 20kg all day make sure it's got the straps and air gaps etc to do the job. I carry 20kg of gear when I'm rambling/scrambling and it can become hard work.

Comment

indeed - that's one of the reasons I want a decent sized pack, one that can adjust to at least partially fit my lanky frame. My days of lugging climbing gear all over the place or bog trotting in Iceland with 95lbs of kit are long gone but taught me the value of a decent sized and packed backpack! Now an assistant would be nice - SWMBO clearly wouldn't be interested of course!!

Comment

The other option is to donate some of your kit.. eyeing the lens list... to some poor beginner in photography.
                      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

will leave you them in my will if you like Di??

Comment

Originally posted by mwphoto View Post
                          will leave you them in my will if you like Di??
                          LOL!
                          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                          Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                          X