Travelling by air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Travelling by air

I travel overseas between 3-7 times a year, often to remote locations for weeks at a time and always with my EOS camera equipment: 7D with a 40D as spare, sometimes 1-V because I still like to shoot some film (Velvia 100), 60 & 100mm macro lenses, a wide angle, a 70-300 or 100-400 zoom, (all EF or EF-S), a 2x and a MT-E 65mm which I especially like to use when I have time.

All the above plus my laptop (Mac BookPro) and spare camera batteries (lithium ion should be hand carried not check-in according to airline regulations) fit easily in my very serviceable LowePro Vertex 200 which is designed as airline friendly. Flash guns, tripod, chargers, cables etc can go in my check-in. If camera gear doesn’t arrive or it arrives damaged where I travel I have absolutely no chance of replacing/repairing it and the trip is severely compromised.

Trouble is my pack-back weights 3.2kg empty, the 7D is 820g without the battery pack, there is the spare 40D body (even if I leave the 1-V behind), the laptop is probably a couple of kg, the lenses vary greatly but most are 600-1300g (little wide-angles can be packed in my clothing) but it all mounts up and quickly, you end up leaving lenses you thought you might need at home, and then wishing you had them.

My American colleagues cannot believe that airlines actually “weigh your hand baggage” because they come across this problem so infrequently. American airlines appreciate that it is dimensions that matter in the bins and under the seats (within reason of course) and many American airlines either have no weight limit (American, Delta, United) or they say stipulate heavier than 18kg, which is eminently reasonable.

Unfortunately non-American airlines are less forgiving. Many Asian airlines impose a 5kg allowance – we fell foul of this flying out of Brunei and it took a lot of negotiation, and not a little pleading, with Royal Brunei NOT to have the entire camera back-packs consigned the hold! I notice Nathaniel considered 5kg adequate in his initial post in this discussion, but then he went on to list two bodies, five lenses and peripherals which would have surely exceeded 5kg just looking at them.

Emirates, Cathay, Qantas and Singapore consider 7kg your lot, but that is still a relatively small amount if you want to take 2 bodies, 3-4 lenses and a laptop to download your images and communicate with the outside world. It would make a good Qlympics 2012 event, packing as much camera gear into a airline friendly camera bag and then making it look as light as a feather. But that is the secret, making it look light so nobody notices or bothers about it, but so often now you are asked “Do you have any hand luggage Sir?” followed by “Can you put it on the scales please”, then “I’m sorry but you are over your hand carry allowance, you will have to put something in your checkin bags”. This will be happening more and more because a travel industry insider has told me that airlines have been offering incentives to their check-in staff to enforce the baggage allowances more rigorously, so the friendly smile as a solution might be a thing of the past if someone’s bonus suffers as a result.

Surprisingly the best deals are some of the budget airlines like easyjet, ‘so long as its fits the dimensions and you can lift it into the bin you can take it’, and best of all, British Airways with a 23kg that equals your check-in allowance. Now that certainly would make them “The World’s Favourite Airline”, if their flights were not so expensive in the first place.

Comment

Micropechis- just to clarify a small point, the 5kgs mentioned by me is more or less the target I aim for but I have found that 7kgs seems to be norm in North America. I usually weigh my luggage (hold & hand) which I presume most people do. If I find that my hand luggage weight exceeds the standard allowance- generally not by a large amount, I sling one of my camera bodies(the heaviest with lens attached) over my shoulders, and I am fine. I do not ever take a laptop on holiday. Once I am on board the plane I transfer the camera to my bag. The bag of course fits the overhead lockers.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Nathaniel, 7kg is good, I wish I could hit it but in N.America the weight is often not an issue as witnessed by the incredulity of my American colleagues to the problems I have experienced flying out of the UK. I think my LowePro probably comes in at 12kg when packed and I carry the laptop separately when checking in, in a sleeve with all my documentation which I place on top of the counter as I talk to the checkin person. So far it has not been noticed and weighed (touch wood). I have to carry a laptop, I am often away 3-8 weeks and am not on holiday, I am working on research projects that demand on the fly record keeping, access to pdfs, email answering, and field blog posting so I would be lost without the laptop. I am often working with American students and the US embassy in one country we are working in has told me they used my field blog to keep tabs on where their young nationals are, even though being a Brit my whereabouts are possibly less important to them. And although I carry several 16GB CF cards I still download my images to the laptop at the end of any day's photography, just in case one of the cards has an accident, becomes corrupted or is lost. I would think most digital photographers would carry a laptop with them if overseas for more than a few days. My LowePro easily fits in the overhead bin, it is designed for that purpose, and I can easily lift it there, it just always weighs more than 7kg. Your idea of wearing the heaviest camera is a good one. I have not tried that because I thought it looked a little obvious not to mention it when they ask if I have any carryon, and once again it shouts "photographer", but it certainly deserves serious consideration.

Comment

Yes, I now quite understand the reasons for a laptop. Well my days of carting all that is done and dusted. I now only travel on holiday and so I think I can keep my weight down. Yes I know when I was in North America last month, weight was no problem. The luggage was always one or two pieces & no real weight restrictions.The problem comes when travelling from Europe or within Europe,to Africa,Middle East and so on.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Always take the laptop so that I can edit/process the pictures daily while my wife is processing her face - err, sorry, putting her make-up on and doing her hair. Saves doing it in one huge batch when we get home.
            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Working...
            X