Live view query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live view query

Having read about the ERR30 problem with the 7d I would like to know how many members use the live view function for their photographs- either to take still or movies? If by using the live view function the shutter gets stuck then I think this points to the use of a Camcorder for movies rather than a DSLR! Am I right or wrong in my assumption?
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 30-11-2011, 14:05.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Live view query

A logical point of view Nathaniel.

I have only used live view when micro adjusting my lenses and I did think it quite useful for that. I keep meaning to try it for macro, but most of the macro I try is moving, or potentially moving, so I stick to may standard methods.

I feel I should use it more, but as I am not missing any shots I don't have a big incentive.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Apart from the now discussed "shutter problem" with live view, I find that I can hold the camera and lens steady when I take pictures using the view finder, rather then when using live view.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I use liveview for taking landscapes and macros. I tether my laptop to the camera and use the laptop screen to get a larger view of what I am taking. Camera is on a tripod

I cant use liveview for normal shots as holding the weight at arms length is not condusive to steady composition
        ef-r

Comment

Have you had the err30 problem?- shutter sticking as posted by Stan?

Comment

No problems - I suspect Stan's problem is not a common experience - no one else on this forum has reported it.
            ef-r

Comment

Hi Nathaniel, l must say I do use live view a fair amount, mainly on macro still life flowers etc. when the 5/10 x magnification can be a real help with focusing in shallow DOF circumstances, occasionally I have also used L View when taking landscapes but with the camera always mounted on a tripod. like Brian says I think Stans fault is not common one we would have heard more about otherwise, in 12 months I have not really used the video mode.

Ray

Comment

Hi Nathaniel, I also use the live view quite a lot normally when I am taking macro or if the camera is on a tripod. As previously mentioned the ability to to use the 5x or 10x magnification helps and I have not hat any problems but that said I am not using either a 5D or 7D

Comment

Hi! Members; Many thanks for all your comments. Must start using my live view and see how I get on.

Comment

Working...
                  X