Camera cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera cases

Does any one carry a camera case these days? I did not bother with one for many years as I had my camera etc in my camera holdall. But I have found that whilst on holiday, a camera case was a useful accessory as I could protect the camera and lens with the case and let it hang/dangle round my shoulder or neck, whilst walking about, entering shops etc. I could leave the camera hold all in the car/vehicle without carting all the gear around.
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 02-01-2012, 17:31.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Camera cases

A long, long time ago, I remember buying a camera, it came with a case that screwed onto the body, the a hood would flip over the lens & snap onto the case, thus protecting the camera & lens. Is that what you mean by camera case? If, so, I haven't seen those since I bought my 620 film camera. So now I use a backpack when I go to carry any essentials that I would need. It's just a pain to take off & put back on but it does work.

Tom

Comment

Same as Tom, backpack or the sling to carry the camera.

Have'nt seen anyone using a case come to think of it for quite some time....
      The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Perhaps I should have made myself clearer. I was referring to the new fangled Neoprene camera cases, where the camera just clips into the case and easy to take off.(Like carpet slippers). On my recent holiday in Canada, I left my holdall & other equipment in the car and just carried the camera slung on my shoulder into restaurants, souvenir shops etc. I was always conscious of "knocks" on the camera whilst doing so. I also saw quite a number of Japanese tourists with cameras with these cases and they would slip the case off and take candid shots whenever they wanted to and slipped their cameras inside these cases. To me, this seemed to be a quick solution to carrying the camera + lens, from the holdall,from the vehicle into confined spaces, without much damage and without the nuisance of the old fashioned cases where the bottom of the case screwed into the tripod socket of the camera etc etc.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I am a bit out of touch on this one Nathaniel. Could you post a picture or a link to a website?

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Colin, see the ones I have attached. This is not to enclose the camera into these cases and then into the holdall, which would be an overkill and absurd.It is only for short periods of time when you don't wish to cart all your holdall and gear into small confined spaces like shops,restaurants,toilets etc. These can be easily put into your main luggage whilst travelling; they are also quite cheap. I first caught sight of these in Canada recently due to the large influx of Japanese tourists,Japanese cars like Toyotas,Hondas etc.

Last edited by Nathaniel; 02-01-2012, 19:05.

Comment

Still don't understand how these are supposed to work, look like a pair of slippers to me.

Ray

Comment

Wonder if the work Like this?

PS Not advertising the seller, just wondering if that is how they work
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Ray,

I myself never saw anything like this before until my recent trip when I saw many of our far eastern friends encasing their cameras into these " shoes", and carrying their cameras on their shoulders/neck. So much so when I mentioned it to some of my senior friends, I was presented with a pair for Christmas. However they were a bit too small for my camera bodies with medium zoom lenses and so I am offering them FREE to forum members. Please see separate thread in the classified section. I was then presented with a larger pair for Christmas by my family which fits both my
                  600d & 60d. I intend taking one of them with me when I am next on holiday.

As for its usage, the camera slips into the "shoe" with medium "walk about zoom lens" attached and you just fold the flat back piece over the camera back and then fasten the camera with the two arms fitted with velcro which slip under the "shoe". To remove the camera you simply undo the two arms and the camera slips out. Of course you have to have the camera on it's neck strap so that it doesn't fall down accidentally. The idea of this sort of case is like that of a pair of casuals/pumps which you slip on your feet and remove with ease, unlike lace up shoes.

I trust this makes sense to you.

Regards
                  Nathaniel

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
                    Wonder if the work Like this?

PS Not advertising the seller, just wondering if that is how they work
                    Well done Di. You have saved me a lot of trouble. Yes,it is exactly how it works. Broad grin!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

No problem. I confess that I've looked at these myself. I tend to walk around with the camera on my shoulder and thats it. So may consider one of these myself.
                      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
                        No problem. I confess that I've looked at these myself. I tend to walk around with the camera on my shoulder and thats it. So may consider one of these myself.
                        Just like you, I was also walking about with the camera exposed and had to hold the camera body to keep it from swinging and knocking into chairs,doors etc in confined spaces like pubs, restaurants etc. Also in the slight drizzle the camera and lens was exposed so much so I had to cover them with my jacket or rain coat. This case is not an alternative to a proper holdall or other sturdy camera cases like Lowepro but for short periods,short walks, it is less cumbersome than carting a full holdall into shops,pubs etc.

Comment

They look like an update to the old "Every Ready Case" that was "standard" back in the day when you bought a SLR body and standard 50mm lens. One of those saved my old Praktica LTL3 back in the late '70s when I dropped it down a cliff face in Pembrokeshire. Still worked after!!

I have the case on my Powershot G11, and that's a similar concept.

These jobbies look really useful - especially in the scenario Nathaniel describes. Tidy
                          “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
                          "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
                          "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
                          "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Comment

I note that the recent EOS magazine gives useful advice about camera and lens protection. However, there is no mention of using camera cases to prevent accidental knocks, and falls of the camera.
                            Does this mean that Camera cases are now useless and therefore could be done away with?

Comment

zoom_pk_1000_60x90.gifCanon still make and sell the Zoom Pack 1000 Holster Case

Also have one of these for my G9.
                              Last edited by Norman; 13-01-2012, 15:42.
                              Regards ,
                              Norman

Comment

Working...
                              X