A quick whinge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick whinge

Is it just me that gets wound up at the use of a random "e" that some people use on the end of the word "lens"?

I can't for the life of me work out why people who write in a post and manage to spell all the other words correctly, then drop the word "lense" in.

As far as I can tell, there is no such word.

That's it, whinge over, got it off my chest now.
    “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
    "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
    "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
    "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Re: A quick whinge

Thats interesting Bob, cos I thought it was me spelling it incorrectly!

Comment

Apart from the spelling of "lens", there are a few other members who seem to ignore proper grammar and spelling in their postings.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I agree with Nat. Actually, I believe the abbreviations used by many in texting is detrimental to the use of proper grammar and it spreads to other areas of communication, including emails and the like.
        As a member of the 'old school' it worries me that it is getting young text-users into bad habits they will one day regret.
        EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

I have also noticed this phenonomen and it is widespread (including eBay and other sites).
          Is a spell checker wanted/needed on this forum?

As for the "grammar" then I'm old-school as even my phone texts have full words, punctuations etc.. but sometimes I get it wrong too.

Can you read this?

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Spehten

Comment

Well done Stephen. A good New Year Laugh! I like that. It is so much like the "English" that many of our youngsters use. Signs of the times and I am with Michael Gove on this.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I am sorry to say that my written word is not good at all and I struggled at school in English. However I made up for it in Maths
              ef-r

Comment

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I got involved in a similar thread on another forum and that got quite heated - which was fun!!

All the usual suspects in there:
                Your/you're, to/two/too, there/their/they're, apostrophes (or lack of) and - another of my all-time favourites - "would of" instead of "would have".

I tihnk I'm just getting old and turning into a real-life Victor Meldrew!!!
                “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
                "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
                "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
                "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Comment

Dont forget - 'for free'
                  ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by BT Bob View Post
                    "lense" As far as I can tell, there is no such word.
                    Methinks it swat called a synonym, init? At least it is in American! You are correct though that 'lense' is not correct grammatically in English!

On a more serious (but hopefully still fun) note, and as someone who has a teenage daughter who is dyslexic, I don't think there should be an 'expectation' that everyone contributing to a photographic forum should be at a certain academic level in English! We have many people who contribute to the forum who reside overseas, and English is a second language.

I prefer to let the picture do the 'talking'!

all the best, Mkie!
                    Last edited by mikep; 06-01-2012, 12:48. Reason: Correcting grammar! lol
                    flickr
                    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

I'm generally in agreement, spelling and grammatical mistakes tend to leap out at me, but I am also mindful that some people struggle in those areas and can be very sensitive to being spotlighted by others. If someone has a genuine difficulty, often going back to school days, it can feel like a form of discrimination when others point out their mistakes, or worse poke fun at them for it, so I understand their sensitivity. As Stephen has demonstrated, the sense of what we want to say is usually transmitted well enough regardless!

Comment

Whilst I agree with Mike re English as a second language, one can easily recognise a member who lives abroad from his/her avator and place of aboard. A wide tolerance is required & they must be encouraged.However, for a resident in the UK to say for example "sheeps" for sheep in his/her postings of pictures of sheep is perhaps asking a bit too much! English is of course a difficult language and this is now diluted by Americanism creeping in such as "color" for "colour" and so on.
                        Last edited by Nathaniel; 06-01-2012, 13:23.

Comment

Shouldn't that 'ave been "a resident in the UK"?
                          TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                            Dont forget - 'for free'
                            What is "for free"? a headache? I don't want that please! Don't worry Brian. I know what you mean. I might add that I have always found Maths/Arithmetic far more easier than English as it is definitive and not ambiguous like English.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Els View Post
                              Shouldn't that 'ave been "a resident in the UK"?
                              Yes, I agree and stand corrected. Too much in a hurry to post!

Comment

Working...
                              X