No announcement yet.

Should the forum be a "testing" ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should the forum be a "testing" ground?

I sometimes post 'rushes' and have missed something that is blindly obvious … horizon not horizontal, (TV) aerials in view, My Shadow, forgetting a colour cast, joins in panoramas etc. Firstly I am humbled that people take the time to look, and look properly and point out my mistakes. I strive to do photography ‘properly’ (whatever that means) but beyond the technical, much of it is subjective and we see things differently, and me being an artistic philistine just don’t get some of the finer points of composition etc. I don’t even mind someone saying a photograph or set of mine is entire detritus if they provide a reasoned case.

We have a broad spectrum of members on this forum with a board range of skills and particular areas they like. I do sometimes venture outside of my own comfort zone (outdoor scenic photography) so I guess that is experimental.

So long may people give honest and reasoned feedback on posted photographs … it makes us all the better for it.

Thanks for starting this thread Nat.

Comment

Hi Nathanial.

Interesting post you have started,
      The thing about this forum is it doesn't matter what level your at, I can be inspired at some of the images that are put on this forum yet others fall way short.
      But in photography you never stop learning new things and ways to improve in the subject we all love,Every picture posted on here can be viewed in different ways by different people.(good or bad)
      Your right there are big differences in some post but we all come on here to look and to learn from others, no matter what level we think we are.

Paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Mine aren't even good enough to post for a C&C is that OK I just read learn shoot and bin em. LOL
        Col

Comment

When I started with photography my wife treated me to a couple of day courses. On each of these, the day consisted of theory, practical and review. When I returned home after each course I remember having a little grumble about how much time was spent on the review session - it must have been nearly 30% of the day. Sitting and sharing your offerings with your peers listening to their critique of your work encouraged by the instructor. I couldn't see why this was important; I wanted the day to consist of doing and learning - practical and theory. Now I have come to realise how useful reviewing your work is. Using a good program like Photoshop Bridge so you can see all the Exif and determine what worked what didn't. What the program can't do, is give you the broader experience that other togs can give you. When you can't get to a club, or be part of a photo group, the forum is the best place to get that.

I'm really pleased I never seen anyone being told on here that they shouldn't have posted this or that.

When I see a picture that I cannot offer any help with - or understand - I just move quietly on.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards

Graydon
          Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
          EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

I think the point is, we all see things differently - the recent thread on Blck & White photography being prime example.

What one person thinks of as an experiment that hasn't worked, someone else may see as a successful shot. Nother may see it as an inspiration for them to go off & do something similar.

It's all good. And, as my late mother was fond of saying, "The world would be a pretty boring place if we all liked the same things".
            “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
            "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
            "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
            "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Comment

Originally posted by jonesgj View Post
              When I see a picture that I cannot offer any help with - or understand - I just move quietly on
              couldnt agree with you more Graydon
              regards
              Donald

Comment

IMO there's three reasons for posting:

1) I like it, I want to share it
                2) I (think) I like it, I want feedback (includes "I'm experimenting, what can you see in this to improve it?")
                3) Help!

All perfectly good reasons, and what I like about this forum is all evoke useful answers. I don't post many images - I should - but often when I do it's because I'm not entirely convinced by it and I want another pair of eyes to see if I can find out that it's either wonderful and I'm not seeing it(!), or the reason why it's not quite working. Either of those answers are really, really useful to me. I also learn from other people's work in progress because you can often pick up more from an image which is incomplete than one that is.

None of which mean I'm not thrilled to see images in either categories 1) and 3) because 1) inspire me and 3) give me satisfaction if I, or others, can offer something to help the poster.

So to answer what I think was the original question, absolutely yes, I think the forum is a place for experimenting.
                Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I love the three points you made, especially 3).

I like to think that the main advantage of this Forum is that you are amongst friends, so you show pictures that you are pleased with, or not so pleased with, for honest friendly comment. No sarcasm, no points scoring, no rudeness ..... there are plenty of other Forums for that.

Amongst those friends are a mixture of abilities and experiences, from the newest beginner to the highly experienced and at all levels we have a symbiotic relationship with each other, where the inexperienced are eager to learn and the experienced equally eager to help.

So keep those pictures coming and whether they are in need of a little help, experimental, or inspirational, they are all welcome and have their place here.

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

Working...
                  X