Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sparrow Hawk

_R5_6685.jpg
    I have a number of bird feeders in my back garden because I enjoy seeing the variety that come to feed . I live in the centre of Barnsley so its an urban environment and the I tend to get Pigeons, starlings, blackbirds etc. But so far i've had three visits by a sparrow hawk. once for a starling and this was the second pigeon. He/she has to pluck the victim before carrying it away because its too heavy. I had to be quick to change lens and get to where I could see it . Taken on an R5 with 100-500 @500 handheld f8 1/500th iso 8000. I didn't have time to check what the settings were before taking the shots.

That's a nice shot of a female Spar
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Thanks. How can you tell its a female?

Comment

Great capture, well done
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Well captured.
          7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by czwotzit View Post
            Thanks. How can you tell its a female?
            This time of year the males are blue/grey the females are brown to aid camouflage on the nest.
            Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

A well taken opportunity is that.
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks everyone its appreciated

Comment

Seem to be an increasing feature of urdan gardens with feeders. We were at Martin Mere yesterday and one hide has some feeders in front. Suddenly everything scattered, prompted by blue tit alarm call, just before a male spar swooped through the clearing. Left without a catch.

Do you visit Old Moor?
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Yes I have been to Old Moor a couple of times and now my daughter has bought me an RSPB membership as a birthday present :)

Comment

Working...
                    X