Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Norfolk

Hi all.

Well as you can probably guess from my name I am from Norfolk, and I like to fly Radio Control planes. Real name by the way is Kevin (Kev).

As would seem obvious my main photographic interest is aircraft. I do like to attend air shows, but mainly RC events.

My history of photography dates back to my Pentax ME Supers x2. I still have these and their lenses. Will probably be getting a couple of converters for my Canon.

From there I went on to a Fuji bridge camera a Finepix S602Z. Still have this and keep it in my workshop for those quick snapshots.

Fuji Image.

Duxford Airshow 04.09.2004 (162).JPG

From the Fuji I went onto an Olympus E-450 with the two kit lenses. That has done me proud for the last 4 years or so. It has been with me to Egypt, Italy (twice) and all around the UK.

Egypt.

Sunset by Kevin Fairgrieve, on Flickr

Felluca by Kevin Fairgrieve, on Flickr

The Egypt shots were all taken after I had only had the Olympus for a week. Managed to persuade the wife that we (I) really did need a better camera. All I had was a single 1Gb card so had to take all the pictures on fairly low quality settings.

Italy.

Florence (7) by Kevin Fairgrieve, on Flickr

Monte Cassino Abbey And War Cemetery (14) by Kevin Fairgrieve, on Flickr

Basilica Di Sanmarco by Kevin Fairgrieve, on Flickr

Canals (11) by Kevin Fairgrieve, on Flickr

So how did I become a Canon convert?

My step daughter studied photography at university and we aquired for her a then 2 year old Canon 30D with a couple of lenses. Following her graduation and the acquisition of a new Canon, the old 30D was given to me to sell to raise funds to pay for her studies. Anyway I decided that I would give it a go and was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the pictures I managed to take on my first outing with it.

EOS 30D

Wittering Warbirds 20-4-2013 dh Mosquito (7) by Kevin Fairgrieve, on Flickr

Wittering Warbirds 20-4-2013 Focke-Wulf Fw 44 (3) by Kevin Fairgrieve, on Flickr

Wittering Warbirds 20-4-2013 Hawker Sea Fury (7) by Kevin Fairgrieve, on Flickr

Not bad for a first outing with a strange (to me) camera lens combo.

Decision made. Sell the Olympus and put the money towards a Canon.

I am no David Bailey, and decided that a consumer camera would be adequate for my needs.

Purchased a EOS 600D and kit lens 18-55mm. Along with the EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III that my step daughter no longer used.

Had my first outing with that a few days after I purchased it and am extremely happy with it. Sorry to ramble on but thanks for looking and reading if you managed to get this far.

Off now to explore the site and get to know some of you.

Kev
    Last edited by Norfolk Flyer; 20-06-2013, 15:36. Reason: Spelling and grammer.
    Canon EOS 600D
    Canon EFS 18-55mm KIt Lens
    Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinfairgrieve/

Re: Hello from Norfolk

Nice way to introduce yourself with a nice series of images. Welcome to the forum Kev and looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Tom

Comment

Hi Kevin and welcome to the forum, a very nice way to introduce yourself, there are a number of folk here who both photograph and fly RC models, Neil is one of the guys for the great flying shots

Comment

Hi Kev, nice to have you with us. That's a great set of images, I really like your Egypt sunset.
        Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
        http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
        https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Hello Kev.

That was a great introduction and a very warm welcome to the Forum.
          Colin

Comment

Welcome Kev, that is an outstanding intro.

Bill.
            7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Hi Kev and welcome to the forum
              The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Welcome Kev!

Great intro, it gives us a great insight into who you are and I hope others choose to follow suit in the future. A comprehensive bio goes a long way to understanding who's who.
                Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Welcome to Canan Land
                  ef-r

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words. Really glad you liked my intro format.

It was really good for me as well. I got to take a look at lots of my old pictures.

Hope to be able to contribute just a little and hopefully learn and make new friends along the way.

I know Neil from a couple of other forums, and have to say his images far surpass anything that I could do.

I have a feeling I am going to like it here.

Kev
                    Canon EOS 600D
                    Canon EFS 18-55mm KIt Lens
                    Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinfairgrieve/

Comment

Hello Kev and welcome to the forum.
                      Some excellent images there
                      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Hello, welcome to the forum, look forward to seeing more of your photos on here.
                        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                        Di's Flickr

Comment

Welcome Kev, lovely first set on the forum.

TomB
                          Am I qualified to comment on others!

Canon EOS-60D - EF 24-105mm f4
                          L IS USM - Tamron Adaptall2 500mm f/8 with 2x converter - Meike Speedlight MK950 - LEE Filters: professional kit, ND Grad (hard) .3 .6 .9, Coral 4 hard grad & cir-pol 105 - CarrySpeed sling.

Tom Bennett Photography on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                          X