X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member camera dilemma

Dear All

A stupid question from a newbie!

I have always owned EOS SLR s and have only just taken the digital plunge and bought a 600D. The dileema is this, a colleague at work is selling his 7D which is in great condition AND COMES WITH AN 18-85 LENS. I have an option to get my money back on the 600D and upgrade to his 7d is this a good idea, ie is the 7D so much better that I shouldnt miss out on this opportunity. My second question is of course how much should I pay given that it is now more than 2 years old and is in good condition, he has asked for 800 GBP? If anyone could give me a steer I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Kacey

Re: New member camera dilemma

Hi Kacey and Welcome

1. Yes, go for it.

2.MPB have a 7D for sale at ~£700 body only, so £800 is not bad. What lenses do you have with the 600D at the moment?
    Bob Turner
    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Its never easy spending other peoples money Kacey, but the 7D is in a different league to the 600D, and if its in as good a condition as you say, then go for it, it won't disappoint.

I'm not decrying the 600D, as it is a capable camera, but the 7D is much more advanced, and you will be a long while growing out of it.

Dave

P.S. the 7D has a magnesium alloy body, as opposed to the Polycarbonate body of the 600D, so its quite rugged.
      Last edited by Dave_S; 17-09-2013, 11:23.
      Dave

Comment

Hi Kacey,

The 7d is absolutely a better camera than the 600d.

What's more important with second hand camera's is the shutter count! Though if it looks clean and tidy it does give you an indication of how it's been looked after.

Providing the shutter count isn't excessive, I'd take his hand off!

Comment

£800 is about right as new body only they are still selling at over £1000. I have had my 7D for nearly 4 years and would not swap it....at least until the Mk II is launched

stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

18-55 thanks for your comments Im stressing about missing the screen pop out?! Also when I have compared the spec ona comparison web site the differences dont seem all that much can you highlight what I should understand in laymans terms?

Thanks a lot

Comment

This is really useful thanks, how do I know the shutter count and what is reasonable?

Comment

Thats very helpful thanks

Comment

Kacey, I reviewed the 7D around 3 years ago, if you haven't seen it :-

I have had no experience of the 600D but the 7D has been a solid performer for me over the last 4 years.
                  Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                  Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Being a newbie too it may be presumptuous to offer advice but feel I can in this respect as I recently made the move from EOS SLR to DSLR with similar concerns as yours. I was able, side-by-side, to handle both a mag ally body and a 'plastic' body which made such an impression I knew that only the build quality of metal would satisfy me so I too bought a 7D.

It is a complex beast so I'm still climbing a steep learning curve and, even though initial results were disappointing and not even as good as my G10, don't regret it as this is a camera that is as good as most people ever will be. Already I've modified my shooting style to consider my settings more than I ever have before and this is paying dividends.

My G10 doesn't have an articulated screen which was something I missed from my previous G2. I really did want one with my new DSLR but, other than buy one with a polycarbonate body or something waaay outside my budget, decided to forgo it with the 7D and must confess I don't miss it as most DLSR photographs are taken using the viewfinder. Video may be different so, your mileage, etc.

7D bodies are available from £700 new and around the £600 mark second-hand.

All your 'film' lenses will fit but remember that due to the 7D having a crop sensor the lengths are multiplied by 1.6 meaning, as in my case, even my widest lens (28mm) is now not wide enough. Buying a kit complete with the 18-85 lens may be sensible although I can't comment on the quality of that lens.

Many people here use the 7D which says a lot - they are also a wealth of information and advice.

So, to sum up, send the 600D back and buy the 7D - you won't regret it.

Cheers,
                    John

Comment

Kacey, you mention the 7D not having the pop-out screen

I guess that we all have our own preferences, but when I upgraded from the 30D to the 7D, I initially considered the 60D.

However, apart from the retrograde step of going from the Magnesium Alloy body of the 30D, to the Polycarbonate bodied 60D, I didn't like the idea of the swing out screen of the 60D.

So, I dug deeper in the pocket, and went for the 7D. A decision I have not regretted.

Dave
                      Dave

Comment

Detailed concise conclusive just what I was hoping for.

Thank you so much

Kacey

Comment

Glad that we have all been able to help, just what this forum is all about.

Whatever you decide, enjoy it, and show us the results.

Dave
                          Dave

Comment

If you go ahead and buy a previously enjoyed 7D ... do a factory reset (to clear any settings the previous owner used - the manual explains how to do it) and take both batteries out and leave for 24hrs ... charge the main LP-E6 battery and get a new button battery. This way you are starting from a known configuration.

I had a 7D for 4 years and it was a good camera ... but do ask questions on here if you aren't pleased with the results ... the 7D can be quite complex (and even intimidating to some) ... as you'll get a steer as to what settings to use.

Comment

Great advise there Kacey .. Welcome to the eos forum..
                              [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Working...
                              X