Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first time dslr - just got my 450d

hi all

i am excited to have just got my 450d, which is my first dslr!

any hints, tips, advice for a novice is greatly received, and i look forward to posting some of my efforts.

I am particularly interested in some tips for photgraphing newborns with a bit of artistic flair as my wife is expecting a happy bundle end of November :-)

Chris

Re: first time dslr - just got my 450d

Get out there and take photos practise make perfect!!!!!!!!

Dont be afraid to experiment,if in doubt take a 3 shot Bracket and process in photoshop as required.I used to own a 450d personally it did not do anything 4 me BUT that is a personal view,I have seen many an excellent photo taken with the 450.

I used to take all of mine in either TV or AV or manual as I dont like not being in charge.

The best advise I can give you with a 450d is to go out and buy the BEST glass you can afford definatly the way forward.Enjoy iy and best of luck

dave

Comment

The number ONE TOP TIP for all new D-SLR owners is don't run before you can walk...

The 450D is a comprehensive unit. Read the manual with your camera by your side, then read it again, and then read it again! You'll be amazed at how much additional information you will pick up each time you read it...

Then go out & play with the kit you have first. Learn what it can do, and what it can't do before you dip into your bank account for more kit... You will quickly learn what an expensive hobby this is - as we all yearn after more & more "L" glass...

Try & steer clear of the "green box" mode, and use the creative zone modes; Av & Tv, at least. The "green box" is a fully automatic mode and while it will get you used to using the camera, you will have no control over the various modes the camera will apply...

Next, try & learn how to shoot using RAW. Ultimately the quicker you can get there, the better off you will be overall. RAW files will give you MUCH better image definition than an in-camera converted JPEG file will... Start by setting your camera to shoot RAW+L JPEG. That way you will get the best of both worlds...

As for your specific question, you might want to look at using shallow "depth-of-field" and "soft-focus" parameters. It's very hard to get good, out of the ordinary, shots of newborns... so good luck with that, and best wishes for your impending arrival... For ideas - you may want to scan some of the image archive sites. That might help...

Happy shooting & welcome to the big wide world of Canon...
      Last edited by Canon-Fodder!; 11-09-2009, 15:06.
      I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
      Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

thanks for first advice...got a feeling i will be asking for lots of it!

have had my first couple of days experimenting with settings, this one is my best effort so far

this was on the "p" setting in monochrome

btw i have the standard lens kit 18-55 at the moment, but feel sure already that i will be investing lots of money on this hobby

Chris
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by risk30uk View Post
          hi all

any hints, tips, advice for a novice is greatly received

Chris
          1. Read the manual. Then read it again. Carry the manual with you.

2. Attend local photography classes. They do vary in quality, but you can learn a lot even from a short course.

3, Read books on the theory - f-stops, exposure, how lenses work etc.

4. Experiment with the camera. Forget about taking shots for a week, just experiment taking test shots with different settings (TV, AV etc). most of the results will be rubbish, but you will learn about how the camera/lens works.

5. A camera club MAY be useful. Some are very helpful (like mine, where we have weekly practical lighting sessions in our studio), others are not. Check them out in your area.

6. There are probably more cameras in the world than people (in Wales and NZ there are also more sheep!) Most people are taking the same shots of the same things in the same style. Once you have mastered the basics of your camera and shooting methods, start to think about creativity, and how your shots can be different to everyone else's. That's the really difficult bit.

7. Are you reading the manual yet?
          Last edited by carregwen; 12-09-2009, 06:26.

Comment

i was reading the manual before i got the camera (downloaded it)

been trying as many manual settings as possible and find what works and what doesn't!

seem to prefer b&w - hoping to do some low light pregnant bump ones - again - tips please :-)

Comment

My advice, try all different settings and experiment, that's how I did it.
              Have fun, you're not wasting film any more.
              David

http://hotkeezphotography.blogspot.com/

Comment

Candle light produces good results, for low light pics that is.
                David

Comment

great pic
                  David

Comment

Working...
                  X