In camera sharpening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In camera sharpening

Greetings everybody,I'm wondering.... I have my cameras EOS 7D 's and 30D sharpness is set to 3. Does anybody have their's set to 7 or inbetween 3-7. Thanks for your replies and comments.

Re: In camera sharpening

I don't use in camera sharpening at all - far better to sharpen your images post processing as you can then have control over how much and what parts of the image you sharpen

stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
      I don't use in camera sharpening at all - far better to sharpen your images post processing as you can then have control over how much and what parts of the image you sharpen

stan
      Agree
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

yep agree with the guys, do it in PP
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I do use camera sharpening but only to enhance the shot on the screen, as I only take in RAW this has no effect on the image stored.

David
          PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

stan
            Agree

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by David Morison View Post
              I do use camera sharpening but only to enhance the shot on the screen, as I only take in RAW this has no effect on the image stored.

David
              I agree with David I also use the in camera sharpening to give a nice sharp image on my camera's screen but like David I only shoot RAW so the sharpening isn't applied and I can apply it in photoshop to my liking.
              1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
              Facebook
              www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

I think the sharpening on my cameras is set to to about 2 or 3 but as I shoot raw it usually only affect the image if I happen to use DPP rather than Photoshop ACR or I switch to JPEG.

The sharpening is really intended for those who wish to print directly from camera rather than those who post process. If you are mostly post processing then I wouldn't go above 3 and if post-processing JPEG possibly turn it off altogether.
                Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks for all the info, I will leave mine set to 3, plus I only shoot raw... thanks again.

Comment

I have set mine to 5 on my camera with no ill effects. I shoot in both RAW and Jpeg as the situation demands-mostly in Jpeg. I do very minimal sharpening in pp. I think this thread should be moved to the thread below which refers to "general photo matters!" It is confusing to have this on the "new members" thread!
                    Last edited by Nathaniel; 15-10-2015, 09:10.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Sharpening +4 and Saturation +1 ONLY when set to Jpeg for racing - trust me when your shooting 3000 > 5000 a weekend with half a day to get them uploaded and sent in you do not want to have to process every single image, just open them in irfanview and spin through deleting the trash.

No need to alter the settings - just switch over to Raw for everything else as the settings only effect what's on the screen and the jpegs obviously.

.DAVID.
                      Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                      X