My first post on a forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first post on a forum

I have recently joined a camera club and would like to try out some street photography techniques, leaving my 5D3 at home I tried using my 100D and focusing using touch on Live View.

Compared to the Panasonic Lumix that I had borrowed the 100D took 'forever' to focus and usually missed the shot that I wanted (I tried EF 50mm STM, EF 40 mm STM and an EFS 17-85mm lenses)

Are the Canon mirror less cameras as good at very quick focusing as the Lumix please?
    EOS5D3, 100-400 IS USM, 24-70 IS USM f4 and a 100D + small lenses for my briefcase

Re: My first post on a forum

welcome ;o)

why not just use the 5D, thats what I use when doing street type work
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

@Tigger

The challenge I've set myself is to get close to the subjects and a 5D3 even with a small lens does make you conspicuous and simply wont fit in a coat pocket!
      EOS5D3, 100-400 IS USM, 24-70 IS USM f4 and a 100D + small lenses for my briefcase

Comment

true its a lump - I've got a G12 that I've not tried street with but that would probably work well - why not consider a G16

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Welcome Ian. Braver than I doing street stuff
          Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Hi Ian, and welcome to the forum ☺

Hope your experience of a camera club is better than I had. Never again!!!

Dave
            Dave

Comment

HI Ian, welcome to the forum.

We're a friendly bunch on here.

I never thought of doing street stuff on live view (Doh!) Now that you've mentioned it I'm going to try that next time using the articulated screen of the 70d.
              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Damien Demolder gave a talk at the club (ex-editor of AP) about how he does street photographer, not everyone would like his style BUT it did answer my #1 concern about street photography - basically not looking like you are actually taking 'serious' pictures.

His website www.wordsonpictures.com has examples of his pictures using a Lumix CSC so I decide to tra my 100D using a touch on LiveView and I was shocked at how slowly it focused compared to the Lumix I had tried - so I was missing all the shots that I tried to take

Hence my question about anyone else's experience with a Canon mirror less camera (M2 or M3)

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post

I never thought of doing street stuff on live view (Doh!) Now that you've mentioned it I'm going to try that next time using the articulated screen of the 70d.
                  articulated screen grrrrrrrr :O( but great idea

Comment

welcome Ian

using live view is a bit hard on the sl1 wile trying to be discreet, how ever using a Wi-Fi link via smart phone on wireless linked camera is a better option but it takes a bit of thought and planning
                    ti1 70D 5Dmk3 10-22 ef-s 50mm1.8 mk1 70-200 4 is l 400 5.6l 100mm macro is l 18-135 stm ef-s
                    1.4 tele mk3 now the 85 1.8 ef lens 16-35 4 is l 50 1.4 canon

Comment

Welcome to the forums, Ian
                      Andy

EOS 6D | 16-35 F/4 | 24-105mm f4L | 50mm F1.8 | Canon 70-200 F2.8 MKII
                      Flickr Page
                      Facebook Page

Comment

Welcome to the forum. The SL1 is a very nice camera as a walk around camera, but I also have found focusing using the live screen is slow. canon's eos m suffers from the same problem when focusing on moving or low contrast images. I have found that the m3 a bit better with high contrast images, but it is not where other mirror less cameras are.

Tom

Comment

Having been a CSC user before moving back to a dSLR because of focussing issues I have some experience I think worth sharing....my understanding from the 'mirrorless community' was that Canon were a late starter in that field and were way behind Olympus, Panasonic and Sony as they all have faster focussing systems for static subjects than Canon - but none come near a DSLR for moving subjects despite all the claims. I last tried a Fuji XT-1 against a 5DMKIII.....the XT-1 yielded 10% keepers the 5D more like 95%.
                          If you want a small camera for static use then yes the aforementioned CSCs are good....maybe good enough for street......but not for anything moving at speed i.e. children playing, dogs running, sports etc
                          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Welcome to the forums Ian
                            Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

I use my 100D for discreet photos like street,concerts and similar and I have no problem in getting my focussing right. I also often use my Canon G15 for street photos and I have no problems with my compact as well.
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                              X