My opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My opinion.

I believe that Mr/Miss Daisy is entitled to his/her opinion in a free country such as ours. My only gripe is that he/she should post his/her pics in the correct thread rather than mess up the "new members" thread. I consider it as a lack of respect to all the other members on the forum to continue to use this thread to voice his/her opinions. Not fair at all IMHO.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

The bottom line to me is that we have not yet been shown that the Emperor is wearing no clothes! Daisy has shown us some nice snapshots - comments aplenty about composition have already been made, so I won't add. But those aside, at least two of the photographs could be greatly enhanced and made visually more attractive by some simply PP. (IMHO the one of the girl could have been fantastic if she were in focus, but the absence of focus makes it impossible to improve much, even in PP.) If he doesn't want to do that and wants to leave it to the Japanese engineers to determine what is best then fine.

Your call Daisy, but you are missing out on a substantial part of the enjoyment of photography, which is about creating visually attractive images that people other than just immediate family enjoy. I know plenty of people who just want the equivalent of old fashioned albums. That has never been my ambition - much to the annoyance of my (almost) ex-wife who just wanted me to take photographs of friends and family standing outside noteworthy locations or at family "does".

Good luck with your snapshots!

Richard
      Last edited by rcarca; 19-09-2016, 10:32.
      Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Your call Daisy, but you are missing out on a substantial part of the enjoyment of photography, which is about creating visually attractive images that people other than just immediate family enjoy....Good luck with your snapshots!
        quite, if all you are going to take is snaps straight out of the camera then it is a waste of spending hundreds of pounds on a DSLR, when with a £50 compact or your phone you could get just as "good" shots
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

No Stan, what I am saying is I will learn from all the comments on how to improve the actual taking of the photos, because most of the comments since putting up my photos have been constructive on how to improve them pre taking.

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
            ...and wants to leave it to the Japanese engineers to determine what is best then fine.Richard
            I think you are being rather unfair to the Japanese engineers. They have gone out of their way to give you plenty of options when shooting JPEGs. There is a choice of Picture Styles (and you can create your own, if you wish). Within each Picture Style you can adjust the sharpness, contrast, saturation and colour tone. You can choose the white balance and, if you wish, apply white balance shift. Then there are features such as Auto Lighting Optimiser and noise reduction options. Not to mention exposure compensation and flash exposure compensation.

I get as much satisfaction from setting the camera to give good JPEGs as I do from post-processing RAW images.
            Robert
            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
              I think you are being rather unfair to the Japanese engineers. They have gone out of their way to give you plenty of options when shooting JPEGs. There is a choice of Picture Styles (and you can create your own, if you wish). Within each Picture Style you can adjust the sharpness, contrast, saturation and colour tone. You can choose the white balance and, if you wish, apply white balance shift. Then there are features such as Auto Lighting Optimiser and noise reduction options. Not to mention exposure compensation and flash exposure compensation.

I get as much satisfaction from setting the camera to give good JPEGs as I do from post-processing RAW images.
              I take your point Robert and I was speaking/writing in hyperbole, but on the other hand, I kind of suspect that Daisy would be happiest without that variety - which after all is a shortcut to PP!

Comment

I also think some of you should be showing Daisy how her photos could be improved ( if she does not mind ? ) Showing before and after of her own work would be the best way to demonstrate what can be achieved , and how it can be improved . It`s fair to say though Daisy , that pretty much every photo we see , has been enhanced by someone ... something before we get to see it , surely it makes sense to give yourself that control ?

Comment

Originally posted by Fallow View Post
                  I also think some of you should be showing Daisy how her photos could be improved ( if she does not mind ? ) Showing before and after of her own work would be the best way to demonstrate what can be achieved , and how it can be improved . It`s fair to say though Daisy , that pretty much every photo we see , has been enhanced by someone ... something before we get to see it , surely it makes sense to give yourself that control ?
                  She is a He
                  Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Sorry Daisy

Comment

He or She who cares. It is only a name. I must agree with Robert above re:Jpeg.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Fallow View Post
                        I've been reading this thread with great interest and till now not added anything to it. I agree that it would be good to show the before and after but honestly believe that that would not help at all. Out of camera is what Daisy wishes for so that would only stoke the burning fire in my opinion. Daisy, how do you feel about others adjusting your posted images and reposting here?
                        Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Boy, this thread has rumbled on ... no bad thing IMHO.

I think that all Daisy wants is help getting a correctly exposed, focused, sharp and composed image as he pressed the shutter release.

Now "correctly" in this context might be what generally accepted as most appropriate. Naturally Daisy may want to go on and experiment with under/over exposure for effect or indeed break the composition rules for impact ...

I get the feeling someone told him using PP software was cheating ... but let's forget that notion for now and just help the chap with getting a high keeper rate in JPEG from the camera.

As an aside not everyone is comfortable with the dark art / art of PPing ... however simple or complex.

Comment

What I find amazing about the whole thread is that not one person has mentioned Ansel Adams and his image "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico".
                            This image was "dark roomed" by Ansel Adams , bit like "Photoshopped", and the image became famous with one of the prints being sold in 2006 for USD$609,000.

I figure if Ansel Adams can "dark room" one of his images then I have no problem with Post Processing and neither should Daisy.

Maybe I can get usd$1.00 for one of my photoshopped images of "Half Dome, Yosemite" which I posted some time ago on the forum in Landscapes, after all Ansell Adams became famous for his Yosemite image of Half Dome, but his has a moon in it and mine does not. I suppose I could Photoshop a moon onto my image of Half Dome...but then that would be cheating wouldn't it ! !

If anyone is interested then go and Google Ansel Adams and "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico" and read a bit about photographic history and the work done in darkrooms in the early 1900's.
                            David

Comment

Parsen66, go ahead & change it, I would love to see the results.

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                                What I find amazing about the whole thread is that not one person has mentioned Ansel Adams and his image "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico".
                                This image was "dark roomed" by Ansel Adams , bit like "Photoshopped", and the image became famous with one of the prints being sold in 2006 for USD$609,000.

I figure if Ansel Adams can "dark room" one of his images then I have no problem with Post Processing and neither should Daisy.

Maybe I can get usd$1.00 for one of my photoshopped images of "Half Dome, Yosemite" which I posted some time ago on the forum in Landscapes, after all Ansell Adams became famous for his Yosemite image of Half Dome, but his has a moon in it and mine does not. I suppose I could Photoshop a moon onto my image of Half Dome...but then that would be cheating wouldn't it ! !

If anyone is interested then go and Google Ansel Adams and "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico" and read a bit about photographic history and the work done in darkrooms in the early 1900's.
                                Sorry, I mentioned AA in post 21 p3!!! I didn't give that example though

Comment

Working...
                                X