New, Willing & Eager!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New, Willing & Eager!

Hi all, new to photography. I had a DSLR years ago but just pointed and clicked.

Bought myself a used Canon 70D with 8-55mm IS & EF 75-300mm – I know the EF 75-300 isn’t a very good lens (after I bought it) and currently looking for an EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM or like - to start my beginner’s experience.

I’m Scottish but live in Derry Ireland, so I’m pig headed enough to learn and live in an interesting part of the world for photography. My job takes me all over the countryside and coast, so ill have plenty of opportunities – my phone is full of snaps and decided to upgrade to a decent beginner’s camera.

I’m brand new to all the jargon. I’m willing, eager but will need some help – looking forward to learning here.

My 1st quest is a better zoom lens.

Thanks

Glezga
    Steve

We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns ;)

Flickr

EOS R, RF 24-105 L, 70D EF 18-55mm IS, EF 75-300mm, EF10-18mm IS STM & Nifty 50 STM.

Welcome aboard. There's plenty of helpful advice available from the other members.

The 55-250 IS STM is a pretty decent lens. I have the earlier version without the STM motor which is optically very good and the STM version is basically the same lens with a different motor. Alternatively there is a much better 75-300mm available: the 75-300mm IS USM mark II or Mark III both of which have a good reputation optically and on focusing speed.
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Welcome to the forum Glezga, I’m sure you’ll find it helpful

Ian
      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Welcome from me too Glezga.
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Welcome Glezga - you will find this is a friendly and helpful place
          John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Hi Glezga and welcome from me too.
            7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Welcome to the Forum
              Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

It’s welcome from me, but. I think I replied to a likewise post you put up regarding a 55-250mm lens
                Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Welcome Glezga to the forum, look forward to seeing some of your pics.
                  Rose

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. My camera arrived quickly but the motor on the Lense was bust. Replacement just arrived and having some fun. Lots to learn but now its here - I can begin :)

smile copy.jpg
                    Steve

Flickr

EOS R, RF 24-105 L, 70D EF 18-55mm IS, EF 75-300mm, EF10-18mm IS STM & Nifty 50 STM.

Comment

Hi all. Haven’t posted since my intro. I’m still getting to know my camera, it’s been wet and pretty busy at work too – so not getting a lot of opportunity to snap. I’m mostly using Auto and messing with ISO in Tv mode until I get a feel to advance. Watching lots of youtube videos but falling asleep watching them lol.
                      Here is a few pics. I feel a bit embarrassed as I’m new but we all have to start somewhere.

P.S. I know my way around photoshop a bit and been messing with Lightroom. Just as well, as I’m not happy with original images – Yet!

All comments or advice appreciated

Steve

Broken Tree - Doochrock by Steven McNeill, on Flickr

Light Mist - Doochrock by Steven McNeill, on Flickr

Barn - Castlederg Rd by Steven McNeill, on Flickr

Ram Skull - Rotten Mountain by Steven McNeill, on Flickr

Derrys Walls From yard by Steven McNeill, on Flickr
                      Steve

Flickr

Comment

Nice set
                        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Good set, well done.
                          7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Nice set, should of put the second one in this months challenge. The subject is trees.

Comment

I'd say you seem to have got off to a good start...
                              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                              X