Snow has arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow has arrived!

Snowing hard in our part of Oxfordshire now so 'working' from home. However think it will be out for a walk later to see what's about.

Andrew
    Andrew

Re: Snow has arrived!

Snowing in the Clwyd area (North Wales) as well.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Started in Cardiff around 2.30 this morning (I think). I have the day off today, luckily, but my partner decided she had to make the effort to get into work (doesn't get paid otherwise). I cleared her car of snow, then had to give her a shove to get going. Then she got stuck again getting off the estate
      Took 4 of us to get her going and out onto a fairly clear main road - then we all managed to do the same with about another 6-7 cars. I don't know these guys, they just stopped to help - great community spirit.
      Shame about the guy who opened his lounge window and shouted some (he thought, witty and "helpful") advice!
      “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
      "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
      "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
      "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Comment

Bob, this is not about the snow but the community spirit you have mentioned. I too found this wonderful when I lived in Landaff (Danescourt) and more so in the big snow fall of the late 1970's which brought down the roof of the sports pavillion. This was a time when every neighbour tucked in to help each other out- even walking to the nearest shop to get milk,eggs,bread etc. Of course one does get the odd ball who will shout advice from the window but he always got a snowball in return which made him shut his window (&trap) quite quickly.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Dead right, Nat. I remember the roof collapsing on the Sophia Gardens Pavilion.

It was the same in 1982-'83 when we had over 2-feet - my car was buried for over a week - people really mucked in, making sure elderly people had enough bread & milk, etc.

Our first home was in Danescourt - bought in '83. Still a very popular estate, and the Llantrisant Rd is still a major bottle-neck into the City in the mornings...
          “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
          "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
          "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
          "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Comment

Brrrrrrrrr! Still snowing in Hereford
            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Aye! Bob. Remember the good old days with great nostaligia. I moved to Whitchurch (Elm Grove) in 1981 until 1990. I used to catch the train from Whitchurch into Cardiff town- very convenient, and a short walk to South Glam CC which was then in temporary HQ down Newport Road.

Getting back to the late 1970 big snow fall, the biggest joke was in those days one had to show one's face in office to get paid!!!!So I would put on my wellies and walk all the way,from Danescourt, to Newport Road. Took about 2-3hrs in that heavy snow. Went to office and there was hot soup available for all the souls who walked in- had about two bowls,then piddled around the office and would leave by 3 or 3.30pm for the long walk back to Danescourt.Was sure that I would be paid as I had "signed on"!!!!!
              Last edited by Nathaniel; 18-01-2013, 14:19.

Comment

Working...
              X