Cut throat razor shaving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut throat razor shaving

I`ve been toying with the idea of changing to using a cut throat razor for shaving but having done research it seems I`ll need to spend about £60.00 on the razor alone which is fine if I get on with it but rather a large cost if I don`t, so has anyone any experience of them, thanks Harvey

Re: Cut throat razor shaving

Add to that £20 for a years supply of sticking plasters

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
      Add to that £20 for a years supply of sticking plasters

Stan
      lol that will probably be the case in the begining

Comment

I gave up cut throat razor shaving many years ago as I was always nicking my face here and there with the inevitable sticking plaster covering my face. So I switched over to electric shavers and I am quite happy with that- my preference being for the foil shavers as they give a closer shave.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
          I gave up cut throat razor shaving many years ago as I was always nicking my face here and there with the inevitable sticking plaster covering my face. So I switched over to electric shavers and I am quite happy with that- my preference being for the foil shavers as they give a closer shave.
          Can I ask if the razor was expensive?

Comment

Cut Throat shaving is a skill that needs to be learn't and there are few left to teach us. You can also add the skill of 'stropping' to keep it sharp and the extra care to never drop it. There is such a high carbon content in the steel to maintain that sharp edge that it makes for a very brittle blade. Drop it onto a hard surface, even in the sink, and you have a broken razor. This 'razor sharp' blade will cut off any minor facial blemishes and it was not uncommon for offices full of men to have small pieces of toilet tissue stuck to their face, to soak up the blood until the puncture was staunched.

Then came the Safety Razor and facial damage was greatly reduced, with only the larger facial blemishes having the top sliced off.

Finally the electric razor. Not as close as the previous two iterations, but safe, quick and convenient.

If you really feel the need for a close shave, go to an old fashioned Gents Barber and have the full works. Shaving cream, wet shave with a cut throat and hot towels to finish. Probably take around half an hour to do it all properly.
            Colin

Comment

Cut throat razor?, hmm!!, a brave move I think.

I have never used one, but saw them used many times in the Barber shop, years ago. In fact I can remember the Barber shaving my neck with one, when I was a lad.

Now for everyday use its an electric razor for me, and a wet shave with a safety razor, if we are going out for the day, and want a longer lasting shave.

I wish you good fortune if you do go down the cut throat razor route.

As I recall, Sweeney Todd was quite an expert with the cut throat razor.

Dave
              Dave

Comment

Glider, the razors were "expensive" depending on the brand you bought- like the present day safety razors. Can't remember it's exact price/prices as it was many many years ago. Ah! I remember that Sweeny Todd used these cut throat razors to very good effect!!
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Try this link.

They also have a complete starter kit for the new shaver and a guide to shaving.

http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving/straight-razors/straight-razors.php
                  Colin

Comment

Sorry, but there is nothing like warming up a shaving brush under hot water, lathering it up and applying it to the neck and cheeks. Then the feeling of a cold sharp straight razor as it slowly cuts each hair stub from the face and neck. and then the there is the sound as the razor nicks off each nub, then the refreshing sting of the aftershave when done.

Something an electric razor cannot provide.

Tom

Comment

Some Gillette twin blade disposable razors and a bar of soap for me.
                      I can't be asked to use shaving foam and all that stuff.
                      I have used soap ever since I first started shaving and that works for me together with the Gillette twin blade, swivel head, disposable razors.
                      I have tried other disposable razors without success, only the Gillette twin blade, swivel head, disposable razors work for me.
                      I did try growing a beard once just to save on razors.
                      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Some Gillette twin blade disposable razors
                        That's one of my gripes.

You get the razor and one spare blade as a Christmas present, presumably because the sock shop was too far to walk to! They give the razor and blade away for next to nothing and you think this is OK, nice shave. Then the blades aren't so sharp anymore, so time to invest in some more. Off into Boots and you navigate the 90% of the shop dedicated to women and find the small men's area tucked out of site in an unattractive part of the store. Suspicions are aroused when electronic security tags are attached to the spare blades, but nothing at all on the razor packs. Men don't tend to consider prices too much when it comes to essentials, we are just grateful we have managed to find what we want on the shelves without having to ask an assistant, so it comes as somewhat of a shock when the cashier mentions the price. £28 for 2p worth of packaging, 4p worth of plastic and 6p worth of steel?

What to do? Remortgage the house? Sell the camera gear? No chance .............. leave it on the counter and wait for next years Christmas present. The electric shaver isn't that bad. For two packs of blades, I can buy a new electric shaver.
                        Colin

Comment

Working...
                        X