Met Hereford-Eos....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Met Hereford-Eos....

..... aka Stephen over in Hereford today.

He showed me around some of the old town - I hope at not too great a personal cost too him as his medical condition clearly makes walking quite painful.

I'd gone over there to give him a 20D + bits and bobs and a 35-70 EF lens on loan until it expires or his circumstances change and he is able to re-acquire the kind of gear he used in the past. Clearly he has been served very badly by the recents changes to the Disability Living Allowance as they transform into ESA or PIPs or whatever.

I know that he could make good use of a lens that goes wider than an old 35-70 on a crop sensor - I might have something suitable but it is already out on loan to someone else, although I may try and retrieve it for this better cause. Anyone got a wider lens lurking at the back of a wardrobe or in the depths of an old camera bag? I know I've hoarded old kit lenses in the past.

We had a very pleasant lunch at one of his favourite cafes, during which he told me how much he has appreciated the varied and generous support he has had from forum members in the past. I know from other posts that his forum contributions have been greatly appreciated but I think he felt a bit of a fraud posting without a camera.... hope the 20D may reverse that and he is back posting a.s.a.p.

Nice guy, nice to meet him. I know he gives excellent care to camera equipment and enjoys working with it - a few hours after I had returned home I got a thank-you e-mail and he tells me he has already updated the 20D firmware and identified a few dead pixels.....

Cheers, Chris.
    Oh, and he stills appreciates any PG Cuppa Club points - a self-confessed "tea-aholic" he is going for the full set of PG stuff.
    Last edited by Chris J; 29-01-2014, 21:23.
    Just chuggin' along.

Re: Met Hereford-Eos....

Its very encouraging to read this, and good to know basic human goodness is still with us.
    Well done for what you've done, an inspiration to others I am sure.
    Andy

Comment

Good of you Chris and nice to know the help you have been to him by visiting and for giving your 20D + lens.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nice of you to lend and take your spare camera to him. Unfortuneatly I only have the two lenses both of which I use if I had a spare lens he would be welcome to borrow it
        1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
        Facebook
        www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

I too have met Stephen - a thoroughly decent chap, with a great sense of humour. He drove me round Elun Valley, and to Gigrin Farm to shoot the Red Kites, so I know he will not mind me saying this...

...but that camera you lent him will soon be on Ebay if anyone is interested in it... bid high, it's for a good cause.

On a more serious note - well done Chris for the show of kindness, which I think is a lesson and an inspiration to us all.

Stephen - I'm looking forward to seeing more of your shots on here soon (until you've sold the camera, that is!).

Mike
          Last edited by mikep; 29-01-2014, 22:40.
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

That is indeed very thoughtful and generous of you Chris, well done mate, all credit to you.

Dave
            Dave

Comment

I'm glad Stephen's as nice in the flesh as he is on the forum. Thanks Chris for your generosity in keeping him able to participate in our hobby.
              I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

I have an old 28-80 f3.5 5.6 lens he can have if that is any better pm me with his or your address

Alan

Comment

Thank you Chris for your help. The members here are always generous including with their advice.
                  I enjoyed our meet and look forward to our next meeting.

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                  ...but that camera you lent him will soon be on Ebay if anyone is interested in it... bid high, it's for a good cause.
                  Starting bids are ... only joking, as indeed Mike is.
                  Not only are the members generous and helpful but have a sense of humour too, which is a good thing.

I have taken a few test photos with the 20D and lens and I am surprisingly pleased; Canon do make some great gear.
                  Thanks Chris and everyone for your support, which is really appreciated.
                  Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                  Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
                    only joking, as indeed Mike is.
                    You might think that... I can't possibly comment.

Mike
                    flickr
                    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Working...
                    X