Vista and windows update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vista and windows update

LOL - similar to my first machine. cost me in just over £1500 for a Packard Bell Pentium 60 with a 512mb hard drive and cant remember what RAM. Win 95. :)
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

I paid extra for a ..... WAIT FOR IT! .... a 15" Monitor
      I never had one of them but saved up and got a 17"

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
        I did the system restore as well but at the time couldnt figure how to turn off the updates

my first computer was windows 95 too with an enormous 1 gb HDD and I paid extra to upgrade the memory from 4 megs to 8

Stan
        My first machine was Windows 3.11 and had a 20mb (yes megabyte) hard drive.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
          My first machine was Windows 3.11 and had a 20mb (yes megabyte) hard drive.
          No one likes a show off!
          Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
          http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
          https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Mine was DOS 5 / Windows 3.0. It was a 386 SX overclocked at 25MHz, with 4MB of RAM and a 100MB hard disk. Cost me just over £1k. I did my first photo manipulation on that, with a hand-held scanner at first.

As to Vista, the problem was only ever really drivers; that settled down after a while, and it's a perfectly reasonable OS. Not quite as good as 7, but nothing like as bad as it's generally painted.
            Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

What you were seeing is a windows classic theme, which, if you have an older computer, does have it advantages. It might not look pretty but it saves using up your system and display card resources on making the interface look pretty. In my opinion I'd rather those resources be put to use making my applications run faster, especially if I'm doing photo editing. I even use windows classic theme on my windows 7 laptop. If I were you I'd change it back, but that's just my opinion.
              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

This has brought back memories!

My first PC was a Dan, win3.11 for work groups, 66dx2 processor, 40mb disk 8mb ram, AND a whole 1mb on the graphics card. Sound blaster sound card too... Woop woop! Until last year my dad was still using it to play Solitaire! But it finally packed in... Not bad going. Ah, the memories!

Mike.
                flickr
                5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                  This has brought back memories!

My first PC was a Dan, win3.11 for work groups, 66dx2 processor, 40mb disk 8mb ram, AND a whole 1mb on the graphics card. Sound blaster sound card too... Woop woop! Until last year my dad was still using it to play Solitaire! But it finally packed in... Not bad going. Ah, the memories!

Mike.
                  Think I might just beat you Mike... my first PC was an IBM with twin disk drives, 10MB hard drive and running DOS...
                  I was training companies on how to use an Accounting Package as well as Word Processing using Wang.
                  I think you now see photos of these in books on early computer systems.
                  David

Comment

Commador c16. Followed by an Amstrad where the programmes came on a cassette. (The sort you tape music to) followed by a second hand user on with 8mb ram a 1gb hard drive and my brother had to install windows which came on 28 floppy discs. I had discs full of a back up of a work qualification that I did which I only got rid of recently when I realised that had nothing to read them on. I have to add that the first usb flash drive I bought cost me an arm n a leg all for the grand amount of storage of 12mb.
                    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                    Di's Flickr

Comment

God I feel old....
                      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

First (small) computer I use was an Olivetti (on a trolley!) ... that used a card (same size as a standard Hollerith card but rather than card, was plastic with a magnetic backing) as external memory. [Used bigger computers like Elliott 90x, ICL190x, DEC PDP7 and PDP11 etc. in the early days]. The Olivetti required programming ... in Assembler (don't know if it had a name ... can't recall). First 'PC' (not sure if that acronym had been coined ?) was a Sirius 1 running CP/M-86 (like an early MS-DOS) at work. Plus at the postgrad work before this I used an Apple II.

Di - if you feel old ... then I feel ancient.

Comment

I can remember when my Dad came home with this:

Sharp MZ80K
                          Andy
                          Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                          EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                          [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Working...
                          X