RIP Flying Officer Ken Gregory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Flying Officer Ken Gregory

Last Week I attended the Funeral of a Very Good and Long Term Friend of mine, Ken Gregory aged 89.

I have known Ken for 35 Years, we flew Model Aeroplanes together from the Late 70's, Ken Flew Lancaster Bombers with 115 Squadron at RAF Wichford in Cambridgeshire, after the War he joined Transport Command and Flew in Avro Yorks and Liberators all over the World.

Ken completed 23 Bombing Missions over Germany and in France in support of the Troops following D Day, before the War ended, but the Missions he talked about most were the "Operation Manna" Flights where they dropped food to starving Dutch Civilians.

He recalled Flying Low and Slow and being able to clearly see the Germans, who were still in Occupation, lowering their Flak guns giving the Lancaster's a free run to drop their supplies, for his actions the Dutch Government actually sent him a Medal only a few years ago.

This Medal joined his others and his recently awarded Bomber Command Clasp on the Union Jack adorning his Coffin.

I have taken Ken on numerous Occasions to Air Shows and the Lincolnshire Lancaster Association Day at the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at RAF Coningsby where I am pleased to say he was always treated very well, especially by current Lancaster Aircrew.

Ken was a Very Gentle Man and a Gentleman too, I was Proud to have been his Friend.

RIP Flying Officer Ken Gregory 115 Squadron Royal Air Force.

Sorry to be a bit Maudlin.

Regards Paul

Re: RIP Flying Officer Ken Gregory

I am sure you miss Ken and thanks for sharing this with all of use. RIP Ken Gregory.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Re: RIP Flying Officer Ken Gregory

Nicely put Paul.
      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Working...
      X