The Press & The Establishment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Press & The Establishment

I'm away with work at the moment and a quick flick through the national press & the Beeb online shows very little coverage of yesterdays elections.
    I've never seen so little cover of this before. How scared is Murdoch and co of UKIP? Because I can't see any other reason for them all to have the election as a side story.
    I'm not looking for a political fight here. I'm just very surprised at the papers. Maybe the country / wider world is run by billionaires with vested interests after all?
    TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Re: The Press & The Establishment

I had this conversation with ladies manning the polling station. I don't know what the turnout was but the lack of information can't have helped. How long before the Farage balloon bursts?

Comment

Originally posted by Ems View Post
      How long before the Farage balloon bursts?
      Hopefully long before the general election!
      Andy

Comment

It is worrying - UKIP have gained about 75 seats so far. The Beeb are covering it fairly well http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/events/vote2014 but I think the papers are steering away because people really don't care - all the parties are as bad as each other with their noses in the trough and lying.

And to be honest, there isn't a lot you can say (run stories) about polling day, other than whether they look full or empty.
        The interest is in the results really, which should come out today, so tv media will run it today and the chip wrappers will be tomorrow.
        Last edited by NickM; 23-05-2014, 07:35.
        I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

Heard on radio turn out 35%.

Hate these elections everyone tries to gain capital from the results when they are largely non representative of general elections.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I agree with NickM 100%.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post

Hate these elections everyone tries to gain capital from the results when they are largely non representative of general elections.
              Right on !! ..
              [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

My paranoia seems to be misplaced. i think I was just up earlier than a lot of the editors!

Non-representative. You can't force people to vote. But please define representative? General elections usually have a turnout of around 70% meaning that most MP's have the backing of around 1/3 of their electorate, which is hardly a glowing endorsement.
                TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

What I meant was that the results tend to be somewhat different for general elections as quite a lot of voters vote one way locally and another for general.

Won't be watching any news this evening as the coverage will be extensive and everyone bigging it up.
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by NickM View Post
                    parties are as bad as each other with their noses in the trough and lying.
                    Its pretty much always been that way, but its definitely got worse in recent recent years, or maybe it just seems that way because its been widely publicized.

The underlying problem is that the vast majority of the British public have had concerns about this country for years, and the major parties chose to ignore them.

If UKIP have done nothing else, they have made the other parties, start listening to the concerns of people they are supposed to represent.

Dave
                    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
                      Its pretty much always been that way, but its definitely got worse in recent recent years, or maybe it just seems that way because its been widely publicized.

The underlying problem is that the vast majority of the British public have had concerns about this country for years, and the major parties chose to ignore them.

If UKIP have done nothing else, they have made the other parties, start listening to the concerns of people they are supposed to represent.

Dave
                      Unfortunately I think your noses in the trough comment has been going on forever. Recent publicity of the scandals - which still go on through lobbying have raised it's profile. In many ways we still have rotten boroughs. Seats that are shoe in's for one party or another rarely get a local candidate but someone parachuted in from Party HQ's because they will play the game.

Unfortunately the comment about listening to concerns doesn't seem to be too strong in politicians comments either. It still seems to be an aberration to them.

Comment

I seem to remember Tony Blair saying after his majority was cut in a general election that they would listen to the electorate in future and then jumped on a plane to travel the world instead of sorting out the problems of this country.

Comment

Is such a low turnout representative of the electorate of the country as no one can be bothered to vote and the distinct lack of information.

Personally I think that if you have been given the vote then you should be made to use it.
                          They should make it mandatory to vote in elections etc
                          Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Originally posted by 2Beers View Post
                            Is such a low turnout representative of the electorate of the country as no one can be bothered to vote and the distinct lack of information.
                            I think it's because voters know that at the end of the day it doesn't really matter who's in power, nothing changes.
                            It's just a different singer, but the same song.

The irony is that if UKIP ever got in, give it a month or two and they'll be as corrupt as the rest, singing the same tune.
                            I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

At age 71, the future of this country will have a lessening impact upon me, but my goodness I fear for my grandchildren's future here.

Its not the sort of my future that my ancestors, and many of yours, fought and died for.

Why the hell doesn't any governing party have guts to stand up and say, "sorry, but we are but a small island, and we are full".

If the current trend continues, all of our beautiful and precious countryside will eventually disappear under housing estates.

Dave
                              Last edited by Dave_S; 23-05-2014, 16:33.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X