Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's attacking my patio?

Here's one for the naturalists.

Here is a picture of the latest attack on the mortar in our patio.

IMG_7549.jpg

About a week ago we found some of the aging morter between the slabs in our patio had been removed and scattered. As a 'stop-gap' measure we simply put the pieces back in gaps. Next day the same pieces were removed again. This time all the debris was swept away. Next day we found that whole new sections had been attacked. So the question is what can be doing the damage? We have woodland at the bottom of the garden and regular visits from squirrels, foxes and magpies. The gap between the slabs is about 2cm and some of the pieces are about 10cm long.

Ideas anyone?

Graham.

Re: What's attacking my patio?

Could be a Nik*n user... have you told anyone you have a Canon?

Mike
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

LARGE very angry moles

Comment

Birds is my guess, could be something else, anything that can scratch around looking for grubs

Why not set up your camera on a tripod with a torch and do a time lapse over night? (anyone remember Jasper Carrot?)

if it is going to be a dry night, put some flour down, you will see the foot prints in the morning, or fine scand I guess

Ian
        EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

I think it could possibly be the little known 'cement owl' .. I reckon.
          [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Very large worms ........
            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
              Very large worms ........
              That was going to be my guess

Tom

Comment

Have you tried putting some Chillie powder along the crevices & on the mortar? Doesn't matter if it rains as the chillie powder will get embedded/absorbed by the mortar!!!! That should teach the pecky vermins!
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

My bet would be the Magpies. They throw all the moss off of my roof, so that it blocks the gutter up, or land all over the paths. "little buggers"

TJM

Comment

Crows or magpies would be my guess.
                    I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

We have similar occurences on our patio and also have a lot of magpies around and a crows nest quite near so the crows / magpies seems quite feasible.
                      Andy
                      Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                      EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                      [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Originally posted by celtex View Post
                        Why not set up your camera on a tripod with a torch and do a time lapse over night? (anyone remember Jasper Carrot?)
                        "There's only one way to kill a mole".......

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto View Post
                          "There's only one way to kill a mole".......
                          BURY IT!!!!!!!!
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by TJM View Post
                            My bet would be the Magpies. They throw all the moss off of my roof, so that it blocks the gutter up, or land all over the paths. "little buggers"

TJM
                            Yep got to agree with this as they do the same thing on our roof and it also ends up on the patio as well either that or the crows

Kind Regards
                            Gordon

Comment

Nice lot of suggestions guys.

My guess is the magpies. There are many more of them this year, and a lack of small birds. Coincidence?

They are behaving a bit differently this year - two landed on the narrow window sill yesterday to catch the insects round the frame, and one has learned how to attack the bird feeder to shake the seed onto the ground. After a few days it got quite good at it.

I guess I'll just have to get down to it and replace the mortar.

Off to the builders merchant.

Graham.

Comment

Working...
                              X