Still Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still Life

This article makes you wonder if this is where the term Still Life came from.

Tom

Re: Still Life

made me shiver

Comment

Thanks Tom for this link. Very interesting although macabre!
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Fascinating - I know some people will see as gruesome but I don't think that was the intention at the time. I remember going into an underground mausoleum in Sicily where the custom (some 80 Years ago) was to dress the dead up in their finest clothes, prop them up, and then the family could visit them every now & then for a friendly chat etc.
        James
        James Boardman Woodend
        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

should have posted this on halloween Tom... spooky

interesting link - cheers
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

2nd November in Mexico is "Dia de los Muertos" (Day of the Dead), a national holiday where families go to cemeteries and have parties on the graves of their loved ones, which usually have photographs on, and celebrate their lives. I suppose in Victoria times when photography was new and still relatively expensive, people often passed away without ever having a photograph or image taken of them, so this was the only way the families would have of having something to remember them by.

I have photographs of both my kids from an early age, and both grandkids from only minutes after birth, yet I have very few of my parents and none of my grandparents. We are so lucky these days that photography is so available and affordable.
            John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by jk224 View Post
              2nd November in Mexico is "Dia de los Muertos" (Day of the Dead), a national holiday where families go to cemeteries and have parties on the graves of their loved ones, which usually have photographs on, and celebrate their lives. I suppose in Victoria times when photography was new and still relatively expensive, people often passed away without ever having a photograph or image taken of them, so this was the only way the families would have of having something to remember them by.
              we have that here also - the cemeteries get so busy that the police have to control the traffic and in some cases close the road for parking only as car parks can't cope

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

When I worked at a local photographers in Halifax we used to regularly have to photograph funerals of the East European community which was very much like a wedding, taking photos of family at the house with an open coffin propped up, individual members were posed with the deceased as well as group shots, then onto the cemetery for more shots, final onto the wake.... I found it all very macabre and weird but to my boss it was money

Gordon

Comment

This might or might not surprise the members. After looking at Tom's link I must admit that I did take photographs of my late father in death (1981). The pics were of great comfort to my late mother after nearly 65 years of marriage. The pics were also a great comfort to my elder bro in Canada who could not attend the funeral in Sri Lanka at that time. By return token my brother sent me photos of my late mother who died in Canada in 1985- after she was taken there due to the problems in Sri Lanka at that time. My photos are all in slides.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Interesting link Tom
                    Peter

Feel free to browse my
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by GORDH View Post
                      When I worked at a local photographers in Halifax we used to regularly have to photograph funerals of the East European community which was very much like a wedding, taking photos of family at the house with an open coffin propped up, individual members were posed with the deceased as well as group shots, then onto the cemetery for more shots, final onto the wake.... I found it all very macabre and weird but to my boss it was money

Gordon
                      I know photographers that offer this service - although its not something I would be happy doing, do you say "smile"

Comment

Interesting link Tom. I think if the photos bring comfort to those left then why not.

I'm sure that we've all seen items online about photographing funerals etc... makes for some very powerful imagery takes a special person to stand behind the camera me thinks.
                        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                        Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X