high tides weekends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

high tides weekends

in case theres anyone interested in wildlife and not aware this weekend is the first of this years high spring tides events on the wirral and dee estuary ,so it covers quite a large area .
    if conditions are right the whole of the river dee marshes get covered by the incoming tides forcing all the normal inhabitants to head for shore very quickly indeed ,i.e mice ,voles ,rabbits ,hares ,foxes etc .

the birds of prey seem to have a inbuilt awareness of the tides and gather ready to swoop in there are always chances of close shots of buzzards ,peregrines ,sparrow hawks ,merlins ,and of course the resident marsh and hen harriers . nothing however is ever guaranteed and you at the variables of air pressure and winds which can all effect the tide heights .

this weeks best days are thurs 22nd with a 33.1 ft tide at 12-15 p.m and the same height again on friday at 1.00p.m ,best viewpoints are at park gate, or west kirby and hoylake for waders . there are other events also for saturdays tide at point of ayr ,on the welsh side full details can be found on the rspb north west websites .
    i will shortly add some photos from previous tides .any further info required feel free to p.m me i will also update the tide times for the coming months later

the soggy fox by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr

one from 2010
    kestrel and vole (EXPLORED) by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr

jump or swim by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr
    Last edited by the black fox; 19-01-2015, 18:55.

Re: high tides weekends

Hopefully I will be there at Parkgate on Thursday as long as there is no ice and snow- hope not. Thanks for taking the trouble to inform us.

Nat
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Tom
      Last edited by tesarver; 21-01-2015, 14:02.

Comment

Interesting what can happen at these high tides. Extreme high tides, of course, also mean extreme low tides - equally interesting as you can see things not often exposed - different molluscs, anemones, sponges, crabs etc depending on the type of shore. Well worth a welly walk. If I am going on to a rocky shore I now take a cheap foam rubber garden kneeler to make it easier on the knees when trying to get down to low level.
        Have installed a tide time app - "My Tide Times" on my Samsung mobile. You can enter a location or let the phone tell where you are and it then gives the local tides times and heights.
        Cheers, Chris (living a few miles from the geographic centre of the country so not easy to pop along to the coast).
        Just chuggin' along.

Comment

yes it certainly does mean that chris ,the two factors that help up here are the fact that the irish sea and liverpool bay especially is a very shallow sea ,when i used to have my boat i could anchor up 3 or 4 miles out to fish and at low tides have just 10 or 12 feet of water under the keel .couple this with the fact that the dee estuary virtually dries up at low tide and its a good one at high tides like this weekend.
          the only trouble with walking out to far up here is on a spring tide the water can come in faster than you can outpace it ,we have a tidal bore a few times a year on the dee same as the severn and its also spectacular .

Comment

Really wish I could make it but even if I could I think I am too much of a wimp in the cold to brave it but look forward to seeing your usual great images

Alan

Comment

This is what I like- going after the wild life in their natural environment despite the awful weather. I am already re-charging my two Canon batteries on the 100D.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Love the fox!
                Paul

Comment

which Fox????

Comment

Top photo nat LOL

Comment

Thanks Jeff. Much appreciated!!!!!!!!!! Since my PM, I feel much better and so fingers crossed you might still see me at Parkgate!

Comment

Working...
                      X