Flickr experiment ended.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flickr experiment ended.

Over three months ago, I created a Flickr group, aimed at amateur photographers in Suffolk, of which there are a great many using Flickr.

Some of you might remember my 'thread' about this.

It was an experiment to see if Flickr using photographers in this county were as reclusive as I suspected (albeit it seems a common theme all across the Flickr groups).

By reclusive, I mean that they see Flickr as no more than an image posting site, where they can show off their work, without any interest in discussing photography with fellow enthusiasts. Or, when they do make a comment, its little more than "nice shot" or similar.

The discussion section of the these groups remains devoid of any discussion.

My 'group' description read, not just an image posting site, but also a place where local enthusiasts can share their interest with like-minded local people.

A bit like this forum, but on a local scale, as opposed to national/international.

For over three months, apart from me, and my pictures, the group remained empty, yet it was easily found by searching "Suffolk" or "Amateur Photography Group".

I have now closed down the group, as being a waste of time, having proved my view on the inhabitants of Flickr groups. At least, those that I have looked at.

Dave
    Dave

Re: Flickr experiment ended.

It was an experiment to see if Flickr using photographers in this county were as reclusive as I suspected (albeit it seems a common theme all across the Flickr groups).

By reclusive, I mean that they see Flickr as no more than an image posting site, where they can show off their work, without any interest in discussing photography with fellow enthusiasts. Or, when they do make a comment, its little more than "nice shot" or similar.
    a example of this was Stans thread ... I'm not saying anymore
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I know a lot of people don't like using face book but to use it for a photography group IMHO a no brainer as it works well and members cabe by invite only. The camera club I am in has recently set up a facebook group as the webpage was under used and quite time consuming to maintain and the group seems to be thriving though there are 1 or 2 members wont use facebook. I only use facebook as a means of accessing these groups. So it may be worth your while starting up a group with some of your former camera club friends even if there are only a few of you .
      Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

By reclusive, I mean that they see Flickr as no more than an image posting site, where they can show off their work, without any interest in discussing photography with fellow enthusiasts. Or, when they do make a comment, its little more than "nice shot" or similar.........

a example of this was Stans thread ... I'm not saying anymore
        at least on this forum you do get feedback on your images posted, although this seems to have slowed down a little of late. In respect of the post to which Ian refers, it is interesting to see that despite 3595 views and 126 responses there are still a small minority of members who continue to post their own images without giving any feedback to other members. The trouble is that so long as people continue to comment on their posts, nothing is going to change.

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

The camera club to which I belonged Alex, did have an active Facebook group, and for that reason I registered a Facebook account.

We had some interesting discussions, and it kept the people in-touch over the summer break.

However, when the new committee took office, and things at the club went down-hill, resulting in me and others leaving, the Facebook group ceased to be active.

There is actually a Suffolk amateur photography group already on Facebook, and I had a look at it.

Disappointingly, it was little about photography, and more about whose dog had had puppies, or about decorating the lounge, that is to say typical Facebook.

What photos there were, were little more than holiday snaps. So no, hardly a photography group

As you said Alex, a lot of people don't like Facebook, because of its "Jeremy Kyle's Waiting room" reputation. I wouldn't use it for any other purpose than you do.

Dave
          Last edited by Dave_S; 12-03-2015, 16:17.
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
            The camera club to which I belonged Alex, did have an active Facebook group, and for that reason I registered a Facebook account.

We had some interesting discussions, and it kept the people in-touch over the summer break.

As you said Alex, a lot of people don't like Facebook, because of its "Jeremy Kyle's Waiting room" reputation. I wouldn't use it for any other purpose than you do.

Dave
            Sorry Dave what I was suggesting was that you start your own group E.G a closed group by invite only and perhaps you could entice some of the former camera club members that have left for the same reasons as yourself the groups I belong to are Highland Photographers and Inverness Camera club also most of the camera club members are members of the Highland Photographers group as well. highland photography group also have regular meetings ( every couple of months) in a local hotel and we arrange group outings and such trying out light painting and other such outings.
            Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

the thing I find interesting regarding this Dave if you look at EOS own flickr group it has 1100 members and here we have maybe 20 active ones ( by that I mean that post most days) .. so even when you have a large group as in EOS own flickr account it doesn't automatly mean that people will get involved with talking and mixing with others via any type of platform whether its flickr, forums or FB

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

I did follow your point Alex, so apologies if I didn't give that impression.

I have lost contact with those others who left the club. It was way back in September I think that I left, and of course with the Club's Facebook group falling into disuse, we all went our own way.

Ian, you are absolutely correct in what you say.

Forums are made up of two distinct groups of people, those that participate, and those that don't.

Some people just like to read from a forum 'board', while others like also to contribute.

With this particular forum, non-members (the bulk of those reading from the board) can pretty much read everything, so having no desire to participate, they remain non-members, which is fair enough. The 'board' is open for all to see.

What perhaps is more difficult to understand, are those folk who register, but don't participate, when they can do just as they do, without registering as a member.

I also wonder why some people feel the need to hide their identity behind an obscure user name, while not telling us their 'given name'.

That always strikes me as a very 'stand-off' and unfriendly approach. I must say that I do find it a bit odd to be addressing a mature adult as "King Kong" or whatever, when he is really a Tom, Dick or Harry.

Of course some of us will have to adopt an obscure 'user name', whatever that might be. After all there are lots of us here that share the same 'given name', and there are only so many variations of our name we can sensibly use, so a non-descriptive user name has to be adopted.

However, its much nicer when we can address you by your given name, as we do in most case here.

A general geographic location is also nice to see, but there are those, that for whatever reason, feel that they have hide to hide this as well.

Perhaps, its just my friendly and sociable nature, that makes it difficult to understand the 'secret society' approach to forums, adopted by some folk.

Hmm, I seem to have digressed from the original topic, sorry about that.

Dave
                Last edited by Dave_S; 12-03-2015, 20:00.
                Dave

Comment

Reading this post prompted me to do a search for groups local to me on Flickr - something I hadn't really though of before! To be honest, they do seem to be pretty poorly supported and I hadn't realised Flickr catered for that!

I've learned something new for today!
                  Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

Ian, you are absolutely correct in what you say.

Forums are made up of two distinct groups of people, those that participate, and those that don't.

Some people just like to read from a forum 'board', while others like also to contribute.

With this particular forum, non-members (the bulk of those reading from the board) can pretty much read everything, so having no desire to participate, they remain non-members, which is fair enough. The 'board' is open for all to see.

What perhaps is more difficult to understand, are those folk who register, but don't participate, when they can do just as they do, without registering as a member.

I also wonder why some people feel the need to hide their identity behind an obscure user name, while not telling us their 'given name'.

That always strikes me as a very 'stand-off' and unfriendly approach. I must say that I do find it a bit odd to be addressing a mature adult as "King Kong" or whatever, when he is really a Tom, Dick or Harry.

Of course some of us will have to adopt an obscure 'user name', whatever that might be. After all there are lots of us here that share the same 'given name', and there are only so many variations of our name we can sensibly use, so a non-descriptive user name has to be adopted.

However, its much nicer when we can address you by your given name, as we do in most case here.
                    regarding the username, yes I agree people should give others the option to respond with there correct name, hence the reason I posted mine in my signature and you do feel daft if responding to a made up name, but having been involved in forums for years its something I've got used to..

What I can never understand like you is people joining and not getting involved with responding ... But people are odd folks and it seems like most just like to look, read and walk away

Comment

Working...
                    X