Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it wasn't for Bad luck.....

....I wouldn't have any at all.

The morning after we returned home from Scotland I spotted a sheep tick enjoy my blood!
    It had to go, tweezers found, specs on and out the little bleeder came. This morning two weeks after I ejected the tick (note I'm not using any expletives but feel as though I should) I notice a reddening around where the tick was; below sock line right leg.

Rings the GP's surgery and manage to get to see the surgery Nurse Practitioner. Outcome a course of antibiotics which on reading the patients notes seems able to cure all sorts of aliments from nose and throat conditions to Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD in shorthand but...my in engineering background STD stood for Subscriber Trunk Dialling).
    It seems a broad spectrum antibiotic but...then comes the bad news, one potential side effect "sunlight may cause skin problems!" Is iit raining outside no it's sunny!.

The bigger issue though is "Do not drink alcohol whilst on this antibiotic program" so here I am sat in the EOS Pub and can't drink. See what I mean about if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Re: If it wasn't for Bad luck.....

Tick's are becoming a real problem in the UK - my sister in law had one last month and like you went on an all flushing, clearing antibiotic...She found it in her arm and did just the same as you but started becoming Ill so went to the docs

BUT --- what frigging antibiotics are they putting you on, I needed some a few months back and asked my doctor if it was OK to drink as I was off to a party at the weekend, he just looked at me smiled " do you really think I could get away giving antibiotics that you couldn't drink in Spain" so I drank, as for no sunlight LOL....
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Oooooch - I hope it gets better soon.
      I have had a similar experience a few years ago. I came back from Africa to discover a huge blood tick embedded in my right thigh muscle. Phoned the local medical centre - one of the GP's had a degree in tropical medicine and he was getting very excited by dealing with it. On the way down to the Drs the bloody thing fell off - just hope it wasn't pregnant female.
      If anybody in Bewdley gets an African blood sucking tick on their body then I do sincerely apologise !
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Oooh!!, not at all pleasant Peter.

Fortunately we don't have any sheep around our village, but Deer do roam wild around here, and they are also prime carriers of Ticks.

Dave
        Dave

Comment

I am put on anti-biotics atleast once a year for sinusities- i.e when it gets infected and rather dificult to shift. I ask for and get an 7 day course of 2 the first day and then one every day- I can't stomach antibiotics for too long. I also take my usual dose of whisky to flush the capsule down my throat with no ill effects- despite the instruction stating "no alcohol"! The reason they say this is that alcohol slows down the curative powers of the antibiotics- thats all. But having said that I dont find any slowing down in my medication at all.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks guys for your kind words. Nat sounds like you have had the same antibiotic, as I too had to take two to start with today then one a day for a further six days. I shall give alchol a miss during this time so if you would be so kind you could have a whisky for me Nat, Sláinte
            Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

You can contract weils disease (severe leptospirosis) from a tick bite which is nasty if left untreated so thats probably why your on the antibiotics.
              With ticks you also have to make sure you get the head out as well
              Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Originally posted by 2Beers View Post
                With ticks you also have to make sure you get the head out as well
                Grose!!!
                Neil

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                  Thanks guys for your kind words. Nat sounds like you have had the same antibiotic, as I too had to take two to start with today then one a day for a further six days. I shall give alchol a miss during this time so if you would be so kind you could have a whisky for me Nat, Sláinte
                  Mine is called as Doxycycline (or something like it).
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

That's the one Nat
                    Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Never had one but have had them a couple of times on the Dogs.

I read of a way of removing them a couple of weeks ago, apparently, if you cover them in Liquid soap for a few minutes and you hold a tissue over them, they will disengage themselves and you dispose.

No idea if it works though!!

Regards Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post

I read of a way of removing them a couple of weeks ago, apparently, if you cover them in Liquid soap for a few minutes and you hold a tissue over them, they will disengage themselves and you dispose.

Regards Paul
                        From what you have described Paul it sounds to me like you're giving them a nice shower
                        Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

My sympathies Peter, I like it when the Doc advises, "Drink plenty fluids".

Bill.
                          7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Liquid soap and Vaseline do work, but can cause the tick to regurgitate into your bloodstream. A tick removal tool and a twist is the recommended way
                            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
                              . A tick removal tool and a twist is the recommended way
                              thats what we got for our dog as we've found a couple on him ....funny since buying the tool we've not found a single tick
                              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Working...
                              X