Game bird shoot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game bird shoot!

This is a matter of opinion and in a free society as ours we can make our own choices. Personally, I see no conflict in my interest in wildlife & game bird shooting. I have also been invited to a roast pheasant dinner as well!
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nat for most of my life until recently I was a fowler and rough shooter the pheasant shoot is an all year business, involving all kinds of suppliers and work force. I use to beat and work my dogs in North Wales. My nephew is the total opposite anti fox hunt and woodland conservation e.t.c No two people hold identical opinions I myself now prefer to shoot with a camera and let the wild life live in peace. As for your shoot you will not get that close to the birds. From experience of working on shoots stay behind the guns get the cartridges being ejected the shot heading upwards gun exchanges. Also the pickers up working the dogs and birds crossing and being sent overhead. If you go to the sides the beaters pushing the birds along the ground holding the lines, before putting them to what little flight they have. Ask if you can visit the pens if you are on an invite. Enjoy the day
      Regs Keithd

Comment

Thanks Keith. I will take note of what you have said. I still haven't fixed a date to go for the game bird shoot but will do so soon. I was however given to understand that the shoot starts on 1st Oct and ends in Feb- 5 months. The other months (March onwards) are spent in feeding the chicks and bringing them up for the bird shoot. I also note that North Wales is geared for the game bird shoots along with Norfolk and Scotland.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Nat, it is a short season and not as busy as you may think. Some birds are taken by predators some by nature itself. Others escape we have a few on the marsh by where I work, they occasionally venture as close as the car park. If they have a big start to the season it can end fairly quickly, or have larger gaps between shoots, as there are no birds in sufficient numbers left. They only rear x amount If you are based by St Asaph there are two large areas shot over by you. . Not far over the hill towards England. Most but not all of the season is geared up to run in conjunction through out the U.K. Enjoy the day when you do it and even if it's not what you really expected enjoy the countryside, atmosphere and post the pics.
          Regs Keithd

Comment

Thanks Keith. Will do. I know that there is place near me which is involved in this. Something new for me.

Comment

I have nothing against killing for food if it is done humainly, after all I am not nieve enough to not know where the food on my plate comes from, however shooting animals for fun is a different matter.
              We have some chap that comes through at work and he was showing his latest stuffed African trophy off to us and asked what I thought..... well, it started with me commenting it's head would be better back on it's body and it went down hill from there on.
              I always look on it as if you want to get pleasure shooting something, go to the likes of Syria where they can shoot back at you.

Odd, but as an ex Serviceman we were trained to kill, ( sounds a bit lame that ) but today with age one just feels like taking them and bashing their heads together. These days the only shooting I do is through a lens.
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I think (I may be wrong in thinking so!!!) there is a difference in shooting (to kill )to add to one's collection of trophies, fox hunting, bull fighting and similar and game bird shooting. Although shooting bird might be a sport for many, the dead birds end up as food for many people as there is a large export industry built around it ,and there is demand for game birds as food in this country as well. So I believe one must compare like with like in these matters.

Comment

Yes I agree, that's why I said I have those that are Killed for food, pheasant and grouse are bred for shoots and consumed, similar to cattle, lambs etc, just the dispatching method differs. But to kill and just leave them or to hang them on the wall is a different thing.
                  Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Enjoy your day Nat, (not my cup of tea, driven stuff, prefer walking up myself) sure it will offer some excellent photographic opportunities, you're not pulling the trigger.
                    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Not something I'd be comfortable with doing as I'm rather against killing things for sport, birds, foxes, hares, etc.

Myself I don't think economic reasons can be used as justification.

Having said all that if you're comfortable with the situation then go for it.
                      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Working...
                      X