I'm still here.........Just

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still here.........Just

Went 70 odd miles across country to help an old Gent who is a friend over the weekend, stuck to the speed limits as you do and arrived in his large village at the traffic lights, pulling away I had the amber warning light come on for the traction control ( FWD Audi TT Quattro ) and a sudden sinking feeling on the brake pedal, looking underneath I find a large puddle of brake fluid, did the last 100 yards to his house very very slowly using the handbrake.
    AA called out to recover me on Monday and car into garage for repairs, ( Have insurance to cover that) Brake line had chaffed through on another pipe behind the engine, it dawned on me I could have been doing warp factor 9 (70) coming up to a roundabout or junction and would have had a sudden and total brake failure, luckily it let go while stationary at the lights. GULP!!!!
    Last edited by TonyT; 01-11-2016, 14:33.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Re: I'm still here.........Just

Wow, somebody looking after you! I thought there were two separate circuits to avoid complete failure. Regarding the use of the handbrake, the thing that bothers me on my car is that it has a stupid little electronic button instead of a handbrake. If you're doing more than about 4mph it won't activate at all.

Glad all is well Tony
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

It was up near the master cylinder, so I suppose it just bled the pressure out of the system and the fluid, if it does leak then once that drops there is nothing to pump?

The pipe could take 10 days to get and fit and will be 8 hours labour due to where it routes behind the engine, cost about £568 all in.. Insurance covers £500 a go ( up to £1500 a year for maximum of 5 claims)...phew.
      Last edited by TonyT; 01-11-2016, 14:30.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Sounds like you were a very lucky boy - with luck like that, may I suggest you buy a lottery ticket

Comment

Phew!
          Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

phew ,not nice at all .

Comment

Working...
            X