Capturing movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capturing movement

Over the last few months I have noticed a trend amongst some professional photographers to publish images I would have initially consigned to the 'Trash Can'. However on closer inspection they are depicting movement through the mood of the shot rather than attempting to show detail in the subject, so I guess are worthy images. That got me to thinking if I was able to reproduce something similar with my limited skills! So I attempted to capture the speed at which Benji charges around the woods rather than a detailed shot of a Spaniel leaping about with ears flying. This is helped by limited light in the woods anyway this time of year so 'blurred' photos are my norm! Thought I would share this to gauge others reaction, is it an image with some merit or should it go in the bin!!

The Zoomies by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/64455200@N07/]

Guess if you are making a living from photography you need to find a new angle because the standard of competition, as seen on the Forum, is so strong. Anyway felt it was a worthy pub discussion...
    Andrew

Re: Capturing movement

Personally, not my thing. I like well panned shots, I just don't get "art!" On the other hand, if it works for you, and tells the story you envisioned, well done! You've got to keep pushing boundaries and comfort zones or life would get very boring!
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

In the manner that an art lover is supposed to contemplate a painting I spent a couple of minutes contemplating this one and concluded that I like it a lot and can even see it hanging on a wall. Yes, very, very good indeed (but I suspect few will agree with me )

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
        Personally, not my thing. I like well panned shots, I just don't get "art!" On the other hand, if it works for you, and tells the story you envisioned, well done! You've got to keep pushing boundaries and comfort zones or life would get very boring!
        Thanks for your comments Garry. I certainly agree about trying something new, luckily we can all now afford to experiment.
        Andrew

Comment

Doesn't appeal to me.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
            Yes, very, very good indeed (but I suspect few will agree with me )
            Thanks for taking time to look John, I wasn't expecting that reaction. I think its going to be a 'Marmite' topic!
            Andrew

Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment Nathaniel, I am expecting you will be in the majority!
              Andrew

Comment

I think you have achieved your objective Andrew and it should not be put in the trash. Appreciation of this type of image is extremely subjective of course - as can be seen from Garry and John's replies. I'm probably somewhere between the two of them but my opinion is purely that and nothing more. I think I might prefer the inverse of Garry's well-panned with perhaps a more static background combined with movement in the subject instead. However, it's an art area and thus all results are valid ... it's a keeper.

Comment

So I was going to say you need something in there that is sharp, and I was going to show mine from some years ago:

Just dashing... by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

When i realised that nothing was sharp at all! Personally I think it is great to experiment with "art" shots (as you may have guessed from a couple of my more recent posts!). I think you could push this in photoshop (which I didn't with my duck - because I really didn't know how at the time), but some playing with curves could really make it pop... Worth a play I suggest. Also a duplicate of the bottom layer and playing with blending modes is worth a go...

In fact, I might have another go at this one!

Push the boundaries!!!

Richard
                  Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Thanks Richard, will have to see what I can do. I like the smile on the duck
                    Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                      However, it's an art area and thus all results are valid ... it's a keeper.
                      Thanks for your views.
                      Andrew

Comment

Normally I wouldn't like this type of thing much, but this has some appeal, my interpretation is that here is a spaniel with (as usual) his nose to the ground following scent trails. The movement lines remind me of some sort of visible scent trails ..................... well, it's all in the mind I guess.
                        EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I really like both the spaniel and the duck shots and I'm not normally an "arty shot" kind of person. I think it injects a bit of fun into the shots.
                          Chris
                          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Loving the duck too and I especially like the 'cartoon' grin on it's face

Cheers,
                            John

Comment

There is a bit of a trend in competitions at the moment towards these sorts of shot and in a recent comp at camera club, the judge gave a ten...I thought it was rubbish . Where these work for me is more on a landscape image where the blur comes from moving the camera either vertical or horizontal during the exposure..now they are "artistic"
                              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                              flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X