Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why I never bought a Nikon

Poor guy, my heart goes out to him

Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Re: Why I never bought a Nikon

Why would you want to shoot that way? I mean, why does the camera have that mode? It's the kind of thing my daughter's Disney Princess camera does! (Sorry, it's not an EOS)
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

but its an interesting image, for hopefully a one off
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

The last Nikon I had before I changed back to canon was a d7100 the first one lasted 4 weeks before suffering a software collapse ,the replacement lasted 5 weeks before it to decided to start taking photos at f65 yes f sixty five . Got my money back in full ,sold all my Nikon stuff and changed back to canon

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
          The last Nikon I had before I changed back to canon was a d7100 the first one lasted 4 weeks before suffering a software collapse ,the replacement lasted 5 weeks before it to decided to start taking photos at f65 yes f sixty five . Got my money back in full ,sold all my Nikon stuff and changed back to canon
          I find this interesting. I know some people will swear by Nikon, as other's will do the same for Canon. I chose Canon purely because of the deal I got at the time. BUT, I have no regrets. Canon are a multi faceted company, making lots of consumer electronics, whereas Nikon are exclusively photographic equipment, albeit a mix of consumer and commercial. Yet, they seem to have more issues than Canon re quality control.

Comment

I already had canon Gary ,it's just around that time Nikon were ahead in the camera body stakes and I had some deals from friends selling up that couldn't be resisted .i ended up with a d7000 and a d300s that were a superb combo with the lenses I had with them ,I then had a major health scare a vowed if it came out o.k (it did) I would sell both bodies and upgrade to the latest model the d7100 .refer to previous post to see the outcome of that .
            I sold all my Nikon gear in temper after that and as I still had a 1Dmk2 and a 70-200 lens as well the transition back to canon was easy

Comment

I use to have a nikon D3200 and a few lenses, but in the end I wanted to stick with Canon and so glad I did too.

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                I sold all my Nikon gear in temper after that....
                Brilliant! I am glad all turned out well for you too Jeff. This forum is a better place for your input

Comment

When I decided to change from my Olympus OM cameras I wrote to Canon and Nikon for brochures. I didn’t hear anything from Nikon so I went with Canon. No regrets.

Emyr

Comment

I couldn't afford a Canon or Nikon until the EOS 300 film camera came out, one of their most popular film cameras ever. I don't think Nikon had anything comparable in the price range. I still couldn't afford Canon lenses, part from the "nifty fifty" so bought Sigma and Tamron instead.
                    I think it's as much a matter of what you're used to as anything else, people who have been using Macs for years wonder how anyone could use a PC and vice versa, the same for software, "familiarity breeds comfort and confidence".

Edit : Had forgotten that I had a 1000 FN before that, 1992, completely slipped my memory, thought I'd been in Canon longer, albeit at the bottom end of the market.
                    Last edited by Richard W; 05-11-2016, 11:17.
                    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                      Why would you want to shoot that way? I mean, why does the camera have that mode? It's the kind of thing my daughter's Disney Princess camera does! (Sorry, it's not an EOS)
                      Lol!!!

I didn't know about the additional, super-duper Nikon modes. I was coming at it pretty much agnostic when I bought my 7D however many years ago. I had been a Pentax man with an ME super and then a couple of auto-focus cameras, which were absolute crap at focusing - I needed autofocus because of the increasing difficulty I was having seeing the split pentaprism properly (remember that???) Anyway, my daughter had a Nikon DSLR before I bought a DSLR, and it was a lovely little camera, but I was swung this side of the fence because (a) at the time I thought the Canon felt more substantial in my hand, and (b) the comparable Nikon had a substantially lower pixel count... I also had a feeling that Canon had a better range of lenses. I did agonise a bit because I had in my mind that Nikon was probably the better brand, but now I know better!!! How different life would have been, how many friends I would not have made, how many discussions I would have missed out on. How many times I have regretted not having the play modes of a Disney Princess camera...
                      Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
                        Lol!!!
                        I needed autofocus because of the increasing difficulty I was having seeing the split pentaprism properly (remember that???)
                        Funnily enough I have just this week dusted off my old OM10 because I've had the urge to shoot a couple rolls of 35mm (I am sure that will pass when I come to develop!) and I have to say, I am loving the simplicity. The manual focus, THE APERTURE RING! (swoon swoon!), just the overall build quality of the lenses, and the aforementioned split focusing. My eyes are also clearly not as good as they once were, but for now, I'm enjoying the nostalgia!

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
                        ....but now I know better!!! How different life would have been, how many friends I would not have made, how many discussions I would have missed out on. How many times I have regretted not having the play modes of a Disney Princess camera...
                        Brilliant! and agreed (about the friends and discussions at least!)

Comment

Working...
                        X