Up lifting day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up lifting day

I've had a very up-lifting day. About twelve months ago I bumped into a young lad in a wheelchair with his mum at our local reservoir. He was taking pictures of a pair of Canada Geese with a 40D and standard 50mm lens. Following on from that meeting, I met up with him and his mum on many occasions either at the reservoir or out on the heathland. I found out that he suffered from very bad health, in his twelve short years he had undergone seven major operations but his life expectancy is very short. He started sending me some of his pictures to see what I thought of them - mostly bird pictures, obviously with a 50mm he was somewhat limited to what he could achieve, but nevertheless many of them were acceptable. A few weeks ago I met them again at the reservoir where he was trying his hand at a Tufted Duck. I took my 100/400 off a put it on his camera for him to play around with, he was so excited and produced some reasonable shots. Needless to say he wanted a 100/400 but has his mother said she could not even think about it being a single mum - she lost her husband in Afghanistan in an IED incident. Today I bumped into them again out on the heathland, he was watching a pair of Stonechats with no hope of getting anything with a 50mm lens. I went back home turned out my old 100/400 took it back and gave it to him, he was so excited, mum was in tears, it was so up-lifting that I made that kid happy and hopefully a little more happiness in what future he got left - it made my day.
    The lens was only gathering dust, would have got next to nothing if I sold it - but I got a fantastic price in seeing the happiness on that kids face.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Well done Trev, I hope his health improves along with his photography.
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

I am thrilled that you made that lad -and his mum -so very happy and it is clear that it made your day as well as theirs
      Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

What a very nice gesture. We need to hear more stories like this and not the doom and gloom that is in the media at the moment.

Comment

Bless you Trev.
          John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Well done Trev.

Comment

That story as also made my day Trev. It really is good to know there are still decent people in the world. Power to you.

Comment

What a fine fellow you are Trev , such generosity is very seldom seen these days .

Comment

That’s a lovely thing to do Trev and it’ll be a huge boost to the lad and he’ll get a lot of pleasure from it. And you Have the pleasure of knowing its gone to a good home. Well done.

Ian
                  Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Nice one Trev!
                    Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Well done Trev.
                      7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

What a wonderful act of kindness..!
                        Thanks for sharing the story.
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

You deserve a medal

Comment

Wonderful story. Well done!
                            Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Well done Trev, need to put some of his shots on here & that will give him a further boost.

Comment

Working...
                              X