Lens adaptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens adaptors

It would seem you can buy an adaptor that lets you use very expensive ef mount L lenses onto a mirrorless R camera body. It would seem however that you cannot buy an adaptor that allows those of us with ef mount dslr's or movie cameras to use much, much cheaper R lenses...............cynical..................me?
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Me thinks Canon thinking £.s.p
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

It's got more to do with the physics of light.

The distance from the mount on the R camera to the R sensor is shorter than the mount to sensor distance on an EOS camera. Therefore it is only necessary to increase the distance of the EOS lens from the R sensor.hence the EOS to R adaptor is just a spacer with electical connections.

To use an R lens on an EOS camera it is necessary to alter where the light is focused by the inclusion of a lens/lenses in the adapter. Considering a 1.4 extender costs in the region of £400 I would imagine that an R to EOS adapter wiould have a similar price or more because of the need for lenses and of course adding more lenses is likely to reduce the quality of the image and increase f value.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
        It would seem you can buy an adaptor that lets you use very expensive ef mount L lenses onto a mirrorless R camera body. It would seem however that you cannot buy an adaptor that allows those of us with ef mount dslr's or movie cameras to use much, much cheaper R lenses...............cynical..................me?
        ?

The usual complaint on various forums is about how horribly expensive R mount lenses are to their EF counterparts - though I believe lenses intended for cine work seem to be rather more expensive...

I suppose an RF to EF adapter may be possible but as Skyelines says it would require internal optics to correct for the very much reduced back focus distance of the RF lenses. There was an adaptor available in the early days of the EOS cameras which allowed older manual FD lenses to be attached to EOS bodies but even that required internal optics resulting in a 1.2x magnification and potentially some loss in quality.

Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

It's not just the cost , the RF lenses with diffractive optics are considerably lighter, I have a pal who can shoot hand held with an 800mm lens and he's no weight lifter.
          I would consider a mirrorless camera, but the ideal situation would be if I could use all the lenses on all the cameras I have, so the mirrorless camera may not happen.
          Last edited by tigerburnie; 11-09-2023, 13:47.

Comment

Seems Sigma make an adaptor for Canon ef fitting lenses to the Leica/Panasonic L lens mounts, so maybe one might appear later for Canon R mounts too
            MOUNT CONVERTER MC-21 | MOUNT CONVERTER | Accessories | SIGMA Corporation (sigma-global.com)

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
              Seems Sigma make an adaptor for Canon ef fitting lenses to the Leica/Panasonic L lens mounts, so maybe one might appear later for Canon R mounts too
              MOUNT CONVERTER MC-21 | MOUNT CONVERTER | Accessories | SIGMA Corporation (sigma-global.com)
              But that's still EF to mirrorless... My local LCE had a Metabones EF to MFT in the used window the other week - SLR lenses to mirrorless bodies is easy as the converter is simply an extension tube to add back the missing distance required to accommodate the greater lens to flange distance of SLR lenses.

The lens to flange distance of mirrorless lenses is around half that of typical SLR lenses. Mounting them on a DSLR would require some complicated optics to reposition the focal point of the lens the correct distance from the sensor otherwise the lens would be permanently out of focus. It crosses my mind that the adapter - if such a thing is even possible - might even have to be lens specific adding further cost to what may be an expensive 'solution'. My guess is... Never gonna happen...
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post

But that's still EF to mirrorless... My local LCE had a Metabones EF to MFT in the used window the other week - SLR lenses to mirrorless bodies is easy as the converter is simply an extension tube to add back the missing distance required to accommodate the greater lens to flange distance of SLR lenses.

The lens to flange distance of mirrorless lenses is around half that of typical SLR lenses. Mounting them on a DSLR would require some complicated optics to reposition the focal point of the lens the correct distance from the sensor otherwise the lens would be permanently out of focus. It crosses my mind that the adapter - if such a thing is even possible - might even have to be lens specific adding further cost to what may be an expensive 'solution'. My guess is... Never gonna happen...
                The point is though, if an extender can do the job, you just need an R fitting on the front instead of an ef on both ends. as well as giving lighter lenses for for stills work, I could use one on the C100, I don't use big heavy lens on that as I am concerned about straining/bending the lens mount on the camera.

Comment

Working...
                X