X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Relocation

Hi Peeps,

Tomorrow is a big day for us.
    It will be part one of relocating our boat 'Lady Emma' from Acle on the Norfolk Broads back down the East Coast to Titchmarsh Marina in Walton On The Naze, Essex.

We have had three boats over the years, all of which in Norfolk though we live in Essex.
    I used to have a long term contract/client in Norfolk which took two days of my working week up, so I used to stay on board our boat(s) when working up there.
    That contract sadly came to an end last year and finding time to visit the boat this year has been awkward. It's a 160 mile trip there and back so just nipping up there isn't much of an option.

We have loved our time there but as they say, a change is as good as a rest. The new Marina is only 9 miles from home so much more convenient for us.

Anyhow, the sea passage from Norfolk to Essex is about 65 nautical miles with about 10 miles of inland waterway to get from Acle to Great Yarmouth as well.
    Our boat is a twin engined sea going motor cruiser and has an air draft of over 10.6ft
    We have three low bridges to transit under at Great Yarmouth and can only do that at low water on a spring tide.
    That will be tomorrow at 16.00hrs, because of that and the four (ish) hour cruise from Great Yarmouth to Walton on the Naze we have decided to break the journey into two parts. Better than cruising through the shipping lanes of Felixstowe and Harwich in the dark me thinks.

So, we will be going out at Great Yarmouth for a short sea passage and back in at Lowestoft nd mooring in the Yacht Station there tomorrow.
    I'm working on Sunday so will leave the boat and then, depending on weather, aim to depart Lowestoft on Monday or Tuesday early in the morning to catch the rising tide all the way down to Walton on the Naze.

I will try and take some photos and some video footage of the sea passage and post up on here when back on dry land

If you got through all of that, thanks for reading and I'll update the thread as and when,
    Last edited by Coolcat; 28-10-2023, 06:40.
    Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Safe journey Jeff, take care
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Bon voyage Jeff, I assume you will be taking the crew with Boris at the helm. Quite envious of you, used to love mucking around in small boats. Although back then they were canoes, raiders and LCA's with a ride back from the far east on the Old Rusty Bucket - HMS Bulwark. Now it's the odd expedition on one of P&O's floating hotels!
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Safe sailing and travels Jeff.
        Look forward to any updates as and when.
        Rose

Comment

Hope it goes well…sounds like a good documentary project to me.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Enjoy the trip, not one I would like to do, but will enjoy your shots when you post them.

Comment

Morning Folks,

Part one of our relocation completed.

We had a moderate sea state with gusts up to 25mph so it was a little choppy. The upshot of that was I didn't get the DSLR out or venture out onto the deck for filming.

Just a couple of Facebook Live (low res) videos and a few snapshots on the phone of our departure from Great Yarmouth.

Part two of our trip is on Tuesday morning with a gentle breeze and calm water predicted.

I will try and get some 'proper' photos and 4k video footage then. We have an estimated four hour run down the coast so plenty of opportunity .

Lady Emma departing Great Yarmouth Harbour by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Lady Emma leaving Norfolk for her new home by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr
              Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Looks a great trip so enjoy it and have fun. Looking forward to the pics and video

Cheers,
                John

Comment

Update...

The second part of our sea passage on Tuesday was a much calmer affair and we made good progress.
                  Average speed of 17 knots saw us make good time and keep to a reasonably economical cruise.

The time from Lowestoft Yacht club in to Titchmarsh Marina was about three and a half hours from slipping lines to tying up .

The fuel burn was about 150 litres.

I didn't get the Dslr out so only iPhone photos I'm afraid. Wanted to concentrate on the new waters and the channels to navigate as there are a lot of sand banks, lobster pots and the busy shipping lanes of the ports of Felixstowe and Harwich to learn!

Leaving Lowestoft Harbour at 08.30hrs...

Lady Emma by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Passing Sizewell Nuclear Power Station...

Me at the helm...

Passing the ports of Felixstowe and Harwich...

Back down to displacement speed as we enter the Walton Channel...

Lady Emma in her new home...

Lady Emma edit by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

A couple of videos from the trip...

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

I watched the videos with great interest. Glad you made it safely

Cheers,
                    John

Comment

Me too…looked like it went well….nice video
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Glad all went well and safe
                        Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Glad you made it safely into the new harbour and all went well.
                          Rose

Comment

Lady Emma is settling in to her new home well.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

She's alongside some nice craft there Jeff
                              Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Working...
                              X