Overwhelmed or Just Over Comp'd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overwhelmed or Just Over Comp'd?

First off...Happy 2024 everyone. May all your dreams come true.
    Secondly...main reason for posting here: I'm wondering what, broadly speaking, drives people to join camera clubs/societies? Is it a social 'thing'? Is it a desire to learn from others? Is it to enter competitions? Is it having access to guest speakers? Is it the chance to enjoy days out with like minded people?
    I'm obviously tempted to say it's a combination of all of these things (and probably more) but I suspect the initial driver might be just one particular reason.
    From what I've managed to find out, many clubs/societies are practically driven by a huge competitive wing - competitions throughout the year and inter-club competitions etc. I've not an issue here but I do wonder if a lot of folk, who would like to join a club, find it all a bit daunting. I'm sure that there are lots of folk out in the 'clicker-world' would would love to meet up with like-minded people to talk photography, learn from others, share info, maybe have a couple of competitions a year (who judges?), and not lose sight of the fact that it's an enjoyable social event. A small beverage at a local hostelry afterwards just wraps things up nicely...perhaps.
    Y'see, what I'm thinking is there must be lots of 'togs who just don't want the big competitive thing but, as I say, there seem to be a heck of a lot of clubs who devote a huge chunk of the year to just that: comp, comp, comp. Or am I completely wrong? I just feel that a regular(ish) meetup with like minded folk to chat, learn, share and have a bit of fun (no tomfoolery obviously!) and a pint afterwards might just be the answer. Yea, I know...horses for courses. Any thoughts from you lovely folk out there? Just wondered...

I first joined a club because I wanted to learn more, it was a regular thing once a week with a coffee and cake break half way through. But was more guest speaker led than club led. It was ok for me for a year or 2 but I've left now, main reason is being limited time, but secondly because I found the club wasn't really progressing with me. Was just a little repetitive. And not that this is a bad thing but the club was made up of mainly older members who were stuck in their ways and weren't really up for trying new things. The lady who ran it was but some of the members weren't which made it difficult to please everyone.

Iv often wanted to do some 'photo walks' though. Meets ups with people from all over going to a particular place and having a wander round, snapping off some shots then a pint and a pie at the local pub afterwards. I find it much more social and learn a little more being out on Site as it was, than indoors listening to speakers (some of which can appear as an ego boost in my opinion)

Comment

Welcome Steve, the thing with this forum is that it is very much a learning forum, local clubs are more competitive than what this forum is as we have seen by the challenge on here, not many enter. In the years I have been on here I have learnt so much from the members who are helpful and constructive in their comments.

Comment

I've never been in a camera club or had any desire to join one. Nor have I ever entered a photographic competition, other than David's (Daisy M) last month on here, then only to make up numbers, My knowledge of still photography is limited to - What I see, is what I take, is what you get. I don't give much thought to camera settings, or have any interest in the technical side of still photography. I have however over the years had many hundreds of pictures published.
        I was however trained in Cinematography, 16mm film and later attended courses on video, and is what I do now for a certain 'outfit'!!!
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thanks Trev B. I find it fascinating why people do or don't join clubs and from what I've garnered over time it seems that there are a lot of folk who find the prospect of joining a club somewhat daunting but find it difficult to articulate their reasons. However, it seems to me that one thing is clear...many feel as though their photography isn't good enough for them to join a club, even though that's a prime driver for most clubs - learning to improve. Club 'life' can be a bit off-putting for some because what starts off as good advice from others may seem over critical and, in some cases, arrogant: 'My way or the Highway' types.
          We are all different and and respond to others' comments in different ways. Yes, there are those who's arrogance is so ingrained they have come to believe their own story.
          My own view? I believe that everyone can be a good photographer given time, encouragement and opportunity. Clubs can play, for some, an important part in their journey.

Comment

Working...
          X