Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still some kindness left in the world!

Just wanted to share this with you all.
    I was out for a walk with the dog on Friday whilst my partner was shopping and I got chatting to another dog walker (as you do) and he told me that he was an amateur photographer, and has been shooting film only since 1992 and still uses the same film camera he bought all them years ago (leica). I told him that I am also really in to my photography, but hadn't done a great deal lately with work commitments, and don't shoot as much film as I like because of the rising costs. We talked a bit more and I told him what I do for a living (car restoration for those who don't know), and he asked if it would be ok for him to come to the workshop one day and just have a nosey at what I was working on. I told him he was more than welcome.

Today he came down and we started chatting and he gifted me 2 brand new rolls of film. And said "these are for you to try out 1 is to experiment with and I've not tried it myself yet, and the other is a good film stock that's really cheap and easy to use". He also said that when I've finished with them, he would develop them for me.

I showed him what I've been working on and we chatted a bit more, he fired off a couple frames of the cars in progress and off he went to enjoy his day.

I was just amazed at the generosity of somebody I had just met a couple of days prior and only chatted with for 10 minutes or so. Good to know that there is still some kind people out there, putting some faith back into humanity.

Think I made a new friend too. Im going to keeping touch and hopefully arrange a couple of photo walks.

Here's a small snap of the film, looking forward to getting out and trying them!

Attached Files

What a great guy!

....talking about film .....I was very tempted by a salesman at the Photography show today....£350 for a mint Canon AE-1 with 50mm f/1.4....I looked up the spec and relaised you cant go full manual on that one.....I very nearly bought it.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I can see the temptation Brian. I have 3 film cameras. The Eos 3, the 50e and the AV-1. The first 2 are just like using a DSLR in terms of controls. But the AV-1 is aperture value only. To be honest I love it like that. Means I don't have to much to mess around with when I use it.

If you're still looking for an old A-series film.camera I'd definitely have a look on the eBay etc. I purchased the AV-1 from there with no lenses as I had a couple of FD lenses anyway for £16 plus postage. Wasn't expecting much at that price. When it arrived I gave it a clean up with a tooth pick, cotton buds and some cleaning fluid on the body, and tried it out. Meter works fine, all shutter speeds are accurate and work and no light leaks from the seals. Cracking deal. I would with that one you had your eye on at the show, the bulk of that cost would be the lens, because I don't think the AE-1 is that expensive on the internet. Around £100 and you get a FD 50mm 1.8 for around £50 for a good one the 1.4 50mm is a lot more though. If you're after full manual control I think only the A-1 and F-1 from that era have that ability.

Comment

Working...
      X