Bodelwyddan (St.Margaret's) Marble church, Denbigshire,North Wales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bodelwyddan (St.Margaret's) Marble church, Denbigshire,North Wales

HI! Jeff, No question is ever dumb and I myself have been learning the ropes by asking stupid questions- questions that were important to me.

I exposed for the interior of the church, with the stained glass windows as my focal point. I did not take two images and merge them. I used a tripod,set the camera on AV,f2.8,ISO 100 and time delay of 10secs and no flash. When using time delay always remember to cover the eye piece with the rubber blanking bit(it comes with the Canon camera strap) to prevent stray light from the eye piece getting into the picture. Being "lazy"I used a black lens cleaning cloth to put over the eye piece & set the time delay.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nice captures Nat. Like Stephen I think they are a little dark and would have probably done the same as he suggested or maybe tried a couple of variations if I had the time to see what works best.

Jeff the problem would be that the glass would tend to blow out if you expose for the darker church. Upping a stop or 3 might be OK if the windows aren't in particularly bright light but again it's a trial and error thing. Best would probably be a bit of gentle HDR with 2 images. With only one you could either post process and try just lightening the shadows or cut the window into a layer then up the shadows and brightness and put the original window back. HTH.
      TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Wayne/Stephen, points taken and will experiment a bit more on my next visit. The one difficulty I had with these set of images was that there were visitors walking around the church and I had to hold my breath when I set the delayed shutter release,that no one walked in front,spoiling the shot. It did happen on more than one occasion and I had to bin several of the pics which were spoilt by people walking about.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

IMvHO, this type of shot will lends itself to (none artistic) HDR ... next time you are there bracket 3 or 5 exposures and then use DPP's HDR feature to see what transpires. If you don't like the results nothing lost, if you do ... another string to repertoire.

Comment

you could also trying painting with light... long exposure then run around with a flashgun? You would need an assistant with that though.
            Elaine

1Ds mk III;
            24 - 105 f4 L is; 300 f4 L is
            580 EX; 580 EX II; ST-E2

My Flickr

My Blog

Comment

MX5/Mish, thanks for your comments. I might try HDR but Mish, I am not an artistic sort of person to try all the marvellous tricks one could try with digital cameras. Also my expertise is very limited where artistic skills are involved.Anyway thanks for suggesting it- who knows what I might try next?

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                MX5/Mish, thanks for your comments. I might try HDR but Mish, I am not an artistic sort of person to try all the marvellous tricks one could try with digital cameras. Also my expertise is very limited where artistic skills are involved.Anyway thanks for suggesting it- who knows what I might try next?
                Nat - you've probably at least 1000x the artistic ability I have ... and I have played with HDR

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Nathaniel.
                  Great explanations Wayne & MX5, that's what I was thinking for the overexposed windows/underexposed interior problem, but couldn't get my head around it.

Comment

Beautiful church.
                    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                    Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                    X