Alamy - Getting started and what to expect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alamy - Getting started and what to expect

8 days for 11 images to pass QC. The previous 6 batch submissions, my only ones, all passed first time - I've not yet had a reject, so there's no "management" reason for the delay. It's going to take a long time to build up a portfolio this way.
    Russell
    Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

QC go through luls I think. I had a batch pass in 24 hours then in 4 days and then back to 24 hours. It does take time to build a portfolio. It's worth it in the end.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

I agree with Russell re the time delay. However, I have still not got any rejects but I find that most time is spent in looking at each and every photo at 100% + magnification to note any flaws, before they are uploaded. I agree that it is a pains taking process to build up a portfolio and I do it ever so slowly- looking at batches of 20 or so photos,monitoring them and then uploading the same in batches of 5's so that any rejects do no affect the whole lot. I think,in this, Job's patience is a virtue! Keep on plugging away as I am doing.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Can I ask. Do you have to do a varied set of photos.. sort of the best out each of your sets.

I'm just trying to work out how it works.
          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
          Di's Flickr

Comment

It certainly is going to take time to build up a portfolio. My first batch arfer the original 4 too 3 days, the second 4 days and the third lot is so far another four days and counting. Quite frustrating

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

There's a guy called Mirco on Alamy and he built a portfolio of 5000 images in just 3-4 months. A lot of his stuff was on Microstock sites and he ported over to Alamy. He just literally took a chance and did massive batch uploads. Stuff keywording all that though.

I was naive at first, I went gung ho and started with 30-40 image batches. Now most of my stuff is news that bypasses the QC process. I felt I was rubbish at stock but not to say everyone else :)
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Hi all

Stock is NOT a game, it is a full time branch of Professional Photography. By all means join in. Now don't get me wrong, we all started out in small ways, but when I am reading about folk who are pleased and impressed with a sale of $ 10 which then is subject to agents commission of 50% equals maybe £3.00 it beggars belief.

Remember we all have costs, prices like these will not cover basic fuel costs, business use for your car insurance, public liability, camera insurance. Plus your camera kit, computer, software, and most importantly YOUR TIME.

There are many full time photographers on Alamy who are making and indeed require at least 5 sales per WEEK, of which I am one, plus we have there from nearly day one.

Its hard full time work to make it pay these days, and to those who think its handy for a little bit of pocket money, you might not take to kindly to my offer to your boss to do your job for a tenth of the your current salary. Prices need to go up, and cant fall any lower.
                If you aren't there, you cant get it.
                Whatever, enjoy your photography

www.chriswarren-uk.com

Comment

Originally posted by chris warren View Post
                  Hi all

Its hard full time work to make it pay these days, and to those who think its handy for a little bit of pocket money, you might not take to kindly to my offer to your boss to do your job for a tenth of the your current salary. Prices need to go up, and cant fall any lower.
                  I agree! I am a joiner/cabinet maker, and I am in exactly the same boat. I have this
                  IMG_3729-2.jpg
                  handmade jewellery box on sale right now for £35. The solid maple and walnut and other materials cost me about £15, and I've put about 2hrs time into it. Do you think it's fair that I can go onto ebay and buy a very similar Chinese import, right now, for £4.99? No matter what the industry Chris, we are all in the same boat. It is getting harder to make a living no matter what you do.

Regards,
                  Garry
                  Last edited by digiman; 03-12-2013, 11:40.
                  Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                  Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by chris warren View Post
                    Hi all

Stock is NOT a game, it is a full time branch of Professional Photography.
                    To be quite frank Chris, I don't know if you could have opened your reply with a more offensive comment. I don't think one person on this forum treated it like one or said it was a game.

This was not too dissimilar to the reaction I received when I first joined and it created a foul taste in my mouth for a long time after. There is a wealth of great photographers on this forum. Guys and gals I've respected for over a year now. People who put so many hours into their work and never do anything about it. I merely provided some information on how to make it work for them. It's a long process that's not without it's hurdles, but for those who are willing to stick it out, there is some nice benefits.

Like Garry said. It's not just photography that's taking the hit for cheaper rates. I work in IT and had to quit it on a personal business level because of idiots setting up business' and using Google to find a solution to any problem. Charging stupid rates and throwing the whole eco system into a dizzy spin.

We have microstock to blame for Alamy prices.
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

I don't wish to knock anyone who is hoping to make a good buck or two via alamy. Some have been lucky and others have not been so lucky. I am only an amateur photographer and I regard Alamy more as a fun/challenge to keep me occupied. I find that I can,make far more money, on a personal basis,by net working amongst friends and contacts but todate I have NOT asked for any payment for the photography I do. All the work I do for the church/cathedral is free and similarly work done for friends. Judging from the comments on alamy,if members really want to make bigger bucks, I would suggest personal contacts and net working as the way forward.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Chris Warren - how did you start out in photography was it like the rest of us as amateurs. If you can make a living out of photography then I envy you and applaud you.

I for one would love to make photography my full time vocation but just can't afford to at the moment, if Alamy gives me a start at it then great but I am fully aware that it won't support myself or my family.

I would like to stress that I am not a professional but would love to be one, and like I said I envy anyone who is lucky enough to make photography work for them as a profession
                        1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
                        Facebook
                        www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Chris, Hello and welcome!

Maybe a bit of a "grenade" of a first post but I think as you make your living from photography your position is understandable.

Unfortunately I think prices will not go up and they may well fall lower. There are lots of people with varying skill levels and varying equipment and I'm not just talking about hobbyists here. As cheaper cameras output higher resolutions and more people see a potential way to make or recoup a bit of money they spend on their hobby then more people with have a punt at stock sites like Alamy. As an example I read a blog by a walker who decided to describe himself as a photographer too, purely because lots of other people, with images not as good as his were selling prints. Anyway, you've a good site and portfolio so please join in and share your experience in some of the other threads.
                          TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Hi Guys

There is so much hype that stock is the quick way to earn a buck or two. It takes a lot of time, blood sweat and tears, as I say its not a game.

Unless you are in the position of having 200 + unique images, well key worded, then I would forget it.

The point I was making is that, there are better ways, as an amateur to make money from your photography.

As Nathaniel, says you are "better off in networking around your family and friends"

And in answer to Paulraybould, I started as an amateur a long time ago, making and selling photos for friends and family, I then joined the RAF and trained and severed as a Ground Photographer in the RAF, and have been self employed for more years than I care to remember.

And thanks Wayne for the welcome, I am happy to share, - the little bit I might know, I do give a presentation on Stock to camera clubs around South Wales.

Chris
                            If you aren't there, you cant get it.
                            Whatever, enjoy your photography

www.chriswarren-uk.com

Comment

Chris,
                              Welcome to the forum.

I now see where you are coming from. I think your first post came accross as quite strong.

I will look forward to seeing your work and hearing your constructive critique as I do with everyone on here.
                              1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
                              Facebook
                              www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

I agree with Paul, anyone who can offer constructive comments to my images is an asset. Maybe an introduction on a seperate thread might have been a better way to introduce yourself as a contributer. Anyway, welcome to the forum, Chris, Looking forward to some of your posts,

Garry
                                Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                                Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X