Alamy - Getting started and what to expect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alamy - Getting started and what to expect

I've submitted a few images to Alamy, mainly out of curiosity, but in fairness I don't think it's for me. I don't feel that there's an emotional connection and I wan't photography to be enjoyable, rather than just a numbers game. Have I got the wrong end of the stick?
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

I don't think you have Andy I don't think that it is for everyone. I myself have eased off trying to sell my photos and am really enjoying just taking photos for me and not trying to take photos that I think other people want
      1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
      Facebook
      www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

There is no harm in taking photos for yourself and sending some to Alamy, as one never knows where luck might strike. This is what I do- "ME FIRST & Alamy second"!
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I take about 60 photos a day on average these days. I've gone from 900 to 1206 on Alamy since writing this thread. Most of which were news uploads I might add. That's my preferred method of submission these days. Why? Because I'm absolutely garbage at stock photography. It's not for everyone as it takes great experience in many things to make it work. Something you guys have. I don't have the right mentality to produce story telling shots.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
            It's not for everyone as it takes great experience in many things to make it work. Something you guys have. I don't have the right mentality to produce story telling shots.
            Right on Paul ... its definately not for me.

Welcome (croeso) Chris ....
            [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by AndyA View Post
              I've submitted a few images to Alamy, mainly out of curiosity, but in fairness I don't think it's for me. I don't feel that there's an emotional connection and I wan't photography to be enjoyable, rather than just a numbers game. Have I got the wrong end of the stick?
              I understand what you are saying. For me it just seemed worth a punt, plus I have the time to sort it out - if they ever get around to doing the QC in a timely fashion. I don't expect to make money let alone give up the day job. When hobbies cease to be hobbies the cease to be fun!
              TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

As I said earlier- think of ME first and Alamy second and you will not go wrong.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Hey Paul. Thanks for posting this thread - very useful. I've just submitted my first batch using your instructions. I'll report back when I have a decision.

I spent a fair chunk of today going through all my images (12614 in total!), rating them, and seeing what might be of use for stock photography. While I was doing this I remembered I had submitted 7 photographs to Shutterstock a few months ago, so I logged into my account to see what had happened to them. It turns out I'd sold 4 images for a grand total of $1.25!
                  Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

My aim of the thread was to open up the mystery and fear with stock and if a few have took the plunge then it was worth writing. I've kind of gone the news route and have had 4 images published in the papers this week. I think that's how I'll end up using it.
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Paul, where do you find the Newslink on Alamy? Or do I use the other Agency you used for the Glasgow helicopter tragedy?

Comment

Nat In your My Alamy next to upload stock images there should be a upload News images there too. I think it was enabled for everyone. If not then pop a we email off to news@alamy.com and they'll add it. I submit work to Demotix too purely on personal preference because I like the way demotix works.

There's also another company that approached me called Newzulu.com who seem to have around 7000 clients including AFP. I don't submit much to them.

I sold about 4 on alamy news earlier this year but sold 3 this week via demotix, so for me demotix works for me. Prices are lower on demotix I think but it's a matter of preference. Alamy certainly is less hassle to upload to and quicker.

No matter who you sumbit to, the press will take about 4-6 months to report the usage of an image, and then about a 1 month to pay for it. Sometimes it's sooner. It's very off putting for new folk like me, but if you sell all the time then it can be regular albeit a long wait.
                        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                        www.campsie.photography

Comment

So I got an answer from Alamy regarding my first batch of images. One was rejected for being soft and lacking definition. Ironic since it was one of the ones most bought on Shutterstock. That means the whole batch was rejected.

I've now uploaded a new batch. They're estimating 23 hours to make a decision which is pretty realistic given how quickly my first batch was assessed.
                          Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

estimating 23 hours to make a decision
                            I don't want to disappoint you Pilgrim, but I think that the 23 hours is processing time to get the images into the QC queue. Once in the queue, QC processing can take up to a week. As noted earlier in this thread the first ever batch from a new contributor is usually processed quite quickly. The process slows markedly after that.
                            Russell
                            Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Yep, my batch went through yesterday bout a week since I uploaded them.
                              TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Thanks Paul for all your help and input into this thread. It might seem daft to many members but I don't expect to earn my millions via Alamy. I am only sending images as it is something I have never thought of before, a bit of fun and for me, it is always ME FIRST & ALAMY second. I failed to add, if any sale results from my images, it is only a source of encouragement to me to say that my photos are "not bad" and people are prepared to pay for my photos. I now note that I have several zooms on my pics!

Comment

Working...
                                X