A mother's love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A mother's love

I'm going to be different and say I like the original better, because it's a photo and the picture is what it is - a lovely capture of a cute scene in a zoo. It wasn't taken in Kew Gardens and I personally don't think it should look like it was, clever and well-executed though the subterfuge may be.
    Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
      I'm going to be different and say I like the original better, because it's a photo and the picture is what it is - a lovely capture of a cute scene in a zoo. It wasn't taken in Kew Gardens and I personally don't think it should look like it was, clever and well-executed though the subterfuge may be.
      +1 from me.

It would have been even more delightful if it had been taken on the plains of Kenya of course :)
      ef-r

Comment

Thanks Brian. I have been to the plains of Kenya, but couldn't get this close!
        EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

Nice moment well seen and captured.
          Yes the BG was a bit too similar in colour to the giraffes, so even opening up your lens from F7.1 to a wider aperture wouldn't have got around that, by blurring it more.

The edit that Colin has produced is beyond my PS capabilities, maybe I could do that after many hours painstaking work, deffo not quickly.

Colin can you give a brief bullet point summary of how you select in difficult areas like the ridge of hair ?

Trev

Comment

I think it was a nice natural and tender scene, I do think the PS adjustments improve the overall appearence of the image, just wish I had the knowledge to do something like that.

Ray

Comment

Trev, No problem

1: Load image
              2: Chose quick selection brush and select the heads. Spend a little time to get as good a selection as you can
              3: Select Refine Edge > select smart radius > Adjust radius to suit to ensure that you get all the fine hair in this case 5px was fine (this is the reason for getting as good a selection as possible to start.
              4: Select Output to new layer with layer mask
              5: Add the background that you want
              6: Adjust the layer order if necessary to get the heads on top of the background.
              7: Adjust the background layers opacity downwards slightly to make it blend better.

It took me as long to write this as to do it. Probably 3 or 4 minutes.

Hope this helps.
              --
              Colin
              http://fotos-espana.com
              http://macameraclub.com
              http://turnspain.com

Comment

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

1: Load image
                  2: Chose quick selection brush and select the heads. Spend a little time to get as good a selection as you can
                  3: Select Refine Edge > select smart radius > Adjust radius to suit to ensure that you get all the fine hair in this case 5px was fine (this is the reason for getting as good a selection as possible to start.
                  4: Select Output to new layer with layer mask
                  5: Add the background that you want
                  6: Adjust the layer order if necessary to get the heads on top of the background.
                  7: Adjust the background layers opacity downwards slightly to make it blend better.
                  Cheers for the info Colin !
                  Trev

Comment

Working...
                  X