starlings in alert mode iso1250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: starlings in alert mode iso1250

Lee, many, many and even more guys will say that if you can afford to, then the 1DIV makes a very sensible buy over a 7D or 1dIII. The 1DIII AF system was a new venture for Canon, it was a redesign from what I can gather and there was a lot of folk who couldn't get used to it. Those familiar with the 7D AF system might miss Spot AF, Expansion and zone, but the 1DIII tends to have kind of similar things, apart from Spot but done in a different way. If you've used the 7D then the 1D3 isn't too hard to get used to. I picked it up right away and was tracking stuff no bother, and I've never used one.

The 1DIII doesn't do video. The Live View function is fairly limited, as in no AF in live view. Something I went "Oh right" at first as I use it exclusively with 10x zoom on landscapes, so I'll just need to get around it with MF.

What the 1DIII lacks in that sort of thing it more than makes up for in operation and that confidence building aspect of photography. Where before I'd stand waiting on a bird taking off, with the 7D, I'd just keep walking cause of experience I knew it was very hit and miss, but yesterday I was willing it to fly cause knew I'd get it. The blooming thing didn't move of course, but it's the confidence it gives you that's the difference.

Yes there's only 10mp to play with, and in focal length limiting situations having that extra resolution of the 7D and 0.3x crop is going to have it's advantage. A longer lens would solve that on the 1D3 but it's a prop body so Canon expect that you're going to have all that gear anyway.

I think it's still a justified move after all these years. 1D3 was released in 2007 and the 7D in 2009 I think and to be honest I wouldn't advise anyone to give up on a 1D3 at all.

I'm giving it more time before I really set out my future plans. Some have said that I'll wish I had a 1DIV but I want to give this a real good run before I give my opinion on it for sure. I know on the face of it we all look like 7D haters and are moving but it's not to say the 7D is a bad camera at all, it just didn't work for me or Jeff, and with Jeff taking the plunge I knew I had to as well.

Small things I found in the 1D3 are 1/300th flash sync speed, and so many different things you can change that you wouldn't think could help but once you get your head around it, you wonder why it's not in every camera. AEB for 7 shots, and one button to change it on the fly. For me that shouts instant HDR lol
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Lee, because the 7D has taken a few knocks on the forum, it doesn't make it a bad camera, far from it, almost all the reviews of the camera have been positive (mine included), and it punches above it's weight time after time after time. In my opinion, the only advantage (leaving aside the build quality/battery life) the 1D MKIII has over the 7D is autofocus/auto focus tracking in low light, in all other respects the 7D is ahead. I accept though that this view is not shared by everyone .

In response to your question, it's a no brainer, it must be a 5D MKIII, it would cover more of your bases than a 1D MkIII/IV.

The only reason I haven't changed to a 5D MKIII (from a 1Ds MKIII) is I don't really need the clean high ISO ability the 5DMKIII gives, if I need to shoot high ISO I'll use my 7D.
      Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
      Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Originally posted by Riggers View Post
        That's a lovely example of what the 1D can do.

This is giving me even more confidence loss in my 7D But I still can't decide if the best swap would be to follow you guys into the 1 series or go 5D3. A used 1D4 is about the same price as a new 5D3. There's a lot of contradictory advice out there.
        Think the 5d mkiii has more going for it than the 1d mk4 you seem to get more of the latest improvements for your money (great detail with high iso/improved focus options/22mp full frame/high quality video/small enough to carry all day.

Paul
        EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
        Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I'm with Les and Paul - nothing wrong with the 7D and the 5D3 would be the next best upgrade, not the 1D3
          Andy

Comment

Thank guys. Everything you guys are telling me there matches up with opinion having done some more research. The 5D3 would cover so many bases for me. Of course I have the 6D, which easily matches the 5D3 in terms of low light ability but it lacks in the AF system. And a 6D with a 5D3 would go nicely as a 2-body option for parties and weddings.

Sorry to hijack your thread Jeff.
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

its really each to there own ,my lad still sings the praises of the 7d he had ,and i got mine on his opinion base ,i could not gel with it and had a low keeper rate ,so much so it was putting me off going out .i am out virtually every day so i have to have a camera that works under all circumstances and also gives me the results i want with the limited amount of lenses i can afford as a O.A.P .the 7d didn't do it and i very nearly changed back to nikon again .
              i still feel the 7d is a fair weather camera ,either that or myself and paul and possibly a few others have had bad copies as i know quiet a lot of peeps love theres .so no offence taken ,if i had the money i would have gone for a 1d4 or 1dx ,but there just a dream for now and the 1d3 seems to be doing what i want it to

GOT SOME PICS FROM TODAY TO POST AND CANT BLOOMING 503 ERROR AGAIN
              Last edited by the black fox; 17-01-2014, 15:41.

Comment

Working...
              X