Back on the Kingfishers again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Back on the Kingfishers again

Great shots Paul. Atleast you are now using your 5Dmk3 as often as possible, without letting it "rest" inside your holdall.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
      Noise is always an issue but guessing FF sensor and in camera processing help to control this at a somewhat higher level than I'm use to.

Might just be my perception but images certainly seem to have a quality look.
      The advantage FF sensors have is that the photo sites are all bigger than APS-C. This means that for the same exposure time, they capture more photons than would a photo site in an APS-C sensor but noise at each photo site doesn't increase in the same proportion so the signal to noise ratio is better on FF than it is on APS or smaller sensor sizes. Medium Format sensors have an even bigger advantage but I don't believe anyone would be mad enough to try using one for BIF or general wildlife.

The upshot is that you start out with a better signal to noise ration at low ISO, it's still better at high ISO and easier to remove in post processing. And I think in some cases not bad enough to even bother trying to remove.

And you're right about the quality. Nice shots Paul.
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Your best kingfisher shots so far, it's going to be hard to improve on those

Paul
        EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
        Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
          After my little break from wildlife I found myself in a strange position today. I got up, gathered my stuff and went out Kingfisher hunting. I saw one before at another river near me and headed there. I set up a perch in a pool and sat for about 30 mins. Low and behold this little male popped right up on the perch.

Kingfisher (male) Alcedo Atthis
          by Campsie Photography, on Flickr

Needless to say all my christmases came at once when he plopped into get a fish too :)

Kingfisher (male) with fish
          by Campsie Photography, on Flickr

I got a few more pics of him posed then he flew off. Another two kingys flew by me so sounds like a good spot. I wasn't bothered by anyone the whole 2 hours I sat there.

:)

Paul
          Maybe they have a job opening for you at National Geographic. Great shot!
          With kind regards,
          Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Absolutely great shots Paul
            I've been thinking about 'going longer' with either a 300 or 400 and trying out a bit of wildlife.
            Seeing your shots just inspires me even more. Cheers!
            1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

Cheers folks. Always nice to get feedback.

@Kelly - how long can you go? It's probably not going to be long enough. That's why I bought a chair hide. Bring the animals to you. Sit patiently and be rewarded and no harm or upset to the animal. The hide is a crucial part of how I get these pics.

That and silent shutter, a solid tripod, knowing a good spot and blending in to the environment without making a sound and doing it quickly. I can be set up and in the hide in less than a minute now.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Cheers for the tips Paul :)
                I might try the zoom + TC and give it a go sometime soon.
                1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

That and silent shutter, a solid tripod, knowing a good spot and blending in to the environment without making a sound and doing it quickly. I can be set up and in the hide in less than a minute now.
                  Does the shutter bother them that much? From my experience with garden birds - particularly bluetits and starlings but also others - movement causes them to disappear rapidly but the sound of my 7D's shutter seems to have no effect on them at all...
                  EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Aye Andy the 1d3 shutter always scared them away. I don't take any chances now. Plus the more silent I am the more behavioural shots I get
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Aye Andy the 1d3 shutter always scared them away. I don't take any chances now. Plus the more silent I am the more behavioural shots I get
                      Fair enough, you can't argue against experience

Comment

Brill.
                        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                        Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X