Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arundel WWT - flash experiments with tits!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arundel WWT - flash experiments with tits!

Mike, nice set of pics. However IMHO the flash gives an unnatural effect on the birds- they look a bit startled. I think bird photography is best without any flash. Others might disagree.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Re: Arundel WWT - flash experiments with tits!

Thanks Nat - no problem with your comments at all, I did say C&C welcome, and I know we're all different!

I'd like to reply to a couple of points you raised, just to clarify.
      Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
      they look a bit startled.
      I see where you're coming from, but I don't see this in the pictures I posted!
      With all my wildlife shots, I'm thinking of the animals first. In this instance the hide in question is a very busy one, with many visitors (families / noisy children etc), and the birds are very used to distractions. It is positioned under trees, so even in bright daylight, there are plenty of shadows. With the kit I (currently) have, and my level of experience, I am restricted in what I can achieve without flash. I have taken quite a few from there in the past that are not worth keeping / very poor.
      This time round, I wanted to try something else, SO, I started with 1/64 power to gauge the bird's reaction. The shots were unusable, but the birds didn't react. Over about half an hour, I increased flash power and the birds seemed happy. In the end I shot using ETTL on the flash, and Manual mode, and got the results you see here...
      At other places (or with 'wilder' wildlife) I may choose not to use flash, but here it seemed appropriate.

Leading me to the second point...
      Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
      flash gives an unnatural effect ~ bird photography is best without any flash
      I agree with you on the first point to a degree... they look like I used a flash... because I did! This is why I put 'flash experiments' in the thread title!
      I don't agree that bird photography is best without flash! I do think bird photography looks more natural with just natural light, certainly. E.G. Sometimes in bright sunlight, a little flash is good for fill-in, to bring up the darker shadow areas. In my case at the weekend, it was either use flash or get the same poor results I have got in the past. I chose to experiment, as flash can be an important part of the photographer's skill.

I hope this is read how I intend... as an explanation of my thought process, rather than the start of an argument! Happy for everyone to have their opinion, and I hope you now know where I'm coming from.
      As stated above, if natural daylight is enough, great, but what to do when it's not? all being different, we'll all chose a different solution!

All the best, Mike.
      flickr
      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Working...
      X