15-85 try out... Molly and some Bees!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15-85 try out... Molly and some Bees!

Hi all - just bought the EF-S 15-85 IS USM as my walkabout lens for my 550D, and have been playing in the garden!

Here's a small sample of shots...

First up, my dog - Molly - ready to go...

Molly ready to go 10 by mikep_eos, on Flickr

I know this shot is OOF, but I really liked the action (probably due to it being MY dog!)

Molly on the move! by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Then caught this Bee in the bushes!

Bee and flower by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Bee and flower 2 by mikep_eos, on Flickr

First impressions, the lens works really well, providing some great depth to the images (on my PC!), but only 100 shots taken, so need more time to asses properly. Pictures still posting soft to here, but they all look pin sharp on my PC, when viewed as Raw and converted to JPG!

Hope you like them!

All the best, Mike.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Re: 15-85 try out... Molly and some Bees!

They say dogs look like their owners! ha ha ha ha.
    I would really like to use your camera sometime and see whats going on. I dont want to be rude Mike, but do you wear glasses, and if not have you had an eye test recently, cos this looks very odd to me. I altered the dioptre settings on my camera and it seems to work for me cos my eyesight is rubbish, and Ive got bruises from cricket balls to prove it...ouch

Comment

Hi Rob - thanks for your comments! I think I've found the problem! Around the time I upgraded to a Flickr 'Pro' account, my preferences seem to have gone to 'resize to 800 pixels'. I have now changed this back to 'do not re-size', so hopefully the shots will be much clearer!

I have re-loaded 3 of the shots below, so that I can compare old to new!

Molly ready to go by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Bee and flower by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Bee and flower 2 by mikep_eos, on Flickr

What do you (and anyone else think) - are the shots better now?

cheers

Mike
      flickr
      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Sorted Mike - well done -Ive cancelled your app. at spec. savers!! lol

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
          Sorted Mike - well done -Ive cancelled your app. at spec. savers!! lol
          Phew! Glad that seems to have been sorted! Strange you asked about eye tests, as I had one a few months ago (my first one ever), and they couldn't find anything wrong at all - don't even need reading glasses - not bad for a 47 year old! Apparently!

Many thanks for replying so promptly! All the best, Mike.
          flickr

Comment

Where is the setting to resize to 800? can't find it anywhere? really makes a difference, want to check my account. ?
            Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Swoosh View Post
              Where is the setting to resize to 800? can't find it anywhere? really makes a difference, want to check my account. ?
              Hi 'Swoosh'. I use the "Flickr uploader" app, and in there under Tools / Preferences there's an 'Automatic Resizing' tab giving you 800, 1280, 1600, 2048 pixels, and Don't Resize my Photos.

Not sure where this would be in Flickr itself, as I always use the Uploader for convenience.

Hope that helps! Mike.
              flickr

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                Strange you asked about eye tests, as I had one a few months ago (my first one ever), and they couldn't find anything wrong at all
                That's because your blind and Molly is your guide dog, just look at the avatar.

First impressions on the 15-85mm .. pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post

VERY FUNNY STEPHEN!!!!! good one

Comment

@Stephen - good job I know you! I hadn't made the connection to my 'guide dog', but yes, I do have sunglasses on in my avatar shot! Good spot!

You still owe me a lunch - and each time you have a pop at my expense, the cost goes up. lol

Cheers guys, mike
                    flickr

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                      You still owe me a lunch - and each time you have a pop at my expense, the cost goes up. lol
                      It will have to be steak then m8 after my last comment , no problem.
                      Last edited by Hereford_EOS2; 16-04-2012, 17:53.

Comment

It will have to be steak then m8 after my last comment , no problem.
                        flickr

Comment

Dont you just love this forum

Comment

Re posts look much better, especially the bees - nice and detailed / sharp

Stan
                            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                            flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                              Re posts look much better, especially the bees - nice and detailed / sharp
                              Thanks for confirming Stan. Now I think I've sorted the posting issues, I may re-visit the last few weeks' shots - I didn't want to post shots I knew were below par!

All the best, Mike.
                              flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X