I'nt Milk Brilliant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'nt Milk Brilliant

I've been messing around with milk today and took 100's of shots. I'm still not where I want to be with it but I'm getting close. Just can't seem to get the clean shot that I'm after but here's one I did earlier.

Int Milk Brilliant by C J Lee, on Flickr

I think I need a creamier milk.
    Chris
    Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Re: I'nt Milk Brilliant

Well done for getting stuck in, another different idea to get the collision inside the bottle The milk in the bottle is a bit dark, would probably be better to backlight the bottle like i did with my wine glass shots

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan will try that
      Chris
      Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

Crunch

Tom

Comment

That's an amazing idea and very well executed. I like the milkiness of the milk and for this type of shot, adding cream would lose the translucence and everything would just be white, as in my study in white. I think you have it right as it is.

You need to pay a little with your lighting and you have two problems to overcome. Lighting the glass of the bottle and the milk within the bottle. Slightly backlit for the glass and diffused front lit for the milk as a starting point. I would also suggest moving your background material further back to make it out of focus.

I may have to steel your milk bottle idea, except that we don't have bottled milk.
          Colin

Comment

Thanks for looking and comments.

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            I may have to steel your milk bottle idea
            No worries Colin Should have read your post before adding the cream! It's so hard trying to keep the bottle clean.

I have had another session with it.

Int Milk Brilliant 3 by C J Lee, on Flickr

Int Milk Brilliant 2 by C J Lee, on Flickr
            Chris
            Practice makes perfect

Comment

Very well done Chris. I like the 2nd of the new shots.
              Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin I prefer that one too.

Is there a method in plumbing up your kit so the drops land straight? I keep trying to do it by eye but cant quite get it.
                Chris
                Practice makes perfect

Comment

Is there a method in plumbing up your kit so the drops land straight? I keep trying to do it by eye but cant quite get it.
                  I am trying to devise a method using a screw thread to zero it in on the X and Y axis, but even then, the drops can hang on one side of the nozzle and drop off centre.

Until then, like you, I am using the MKI eyeball.
                  Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                    I am trying to devise a method using a screw thread to zero it in on the X and Y axis
                    Would be nice to see that!

Just wondering if a laser level would be any use?
                    Chris
                    Practice makes perfect

Comment

Milk bottles hmm we don't have that technology either but....I have seen similar shaped bottles used for Passata ( tomato) this type of bottle has a larger diameter top. I'm off to the supermarket for eggs and Passata 😎
                      Peter

Feel free to browse my
                      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by crunch View Post
                        Would be nice to see that!

Just wondering if a laser level would be any use?
                        How about a hotshoe bubble level taped to the solenoid Crunch ?
                        Peter

Feel free to browse my
                        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

I'd have thought a plumb bob would be a good way ensure accurate alignment, attached to one of the reservoir clamps it should be relatively simple to align the instrument, but I quite like the shoe-level idea for simplicity :-)

I've also wondered whether polishing the end of the nozzle (both inside and outside) may help to standardise droplets.
                          Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I also like the hotshoe idea, not sure if the nozzle is true to the solenoid though.(maybe my eyes)

I do like the polishing idea
                            Chris
                            Practice makes perfect

Comment

I've also wondered whether polishing the end of the nozzle (both inside and outside) may help to standardise droplets.
                              I have done that, but it didn't seem to make any noticeable difference. By all means make sure there are no obvious machining error, or burrs, but I didn't see any difference in performance after my efforts.

The logic was sound though.
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X