• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Moon

Thanks David

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
      I went and put both converters on my 70-200 f2.8 and discovered you have to put the 1.4 on first. I had thought that working on the basis of what your 1D did my 7D would also only register the 2x and give me f5.6 so still autofocus - but no it did not and would not autofocus
      Hmmm, interesting, I'll try on my 70-200 2.8 and see what I get.

Comment

I was just searching for some moon shot advice & saw your picture. This really is inspirational.
        5D MII, 24-105, 100-400,

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Glenn - I gather we have a Super Moon (Full and closest) at the moment. I know the partial moon give better shadows but if it clear tomorrow I'll give my 300 + 1.4 a whirl.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
              Glenn - I gather we have a Super Moon (Full and closest) at the moment. I know the partial moon give better shadows but if it clear tomorrow I'll give my 300 + 1.4 a whirl.
              I'll look forward to seeing that

I was looking at a moon phase chart at the beginning of the week and I believe that full moon is tomorrow at 18:10, so I'll be out tomorrow night.

It's so close that I don't think I'll be using the 500mm and the 2 extenders

Comment

I've just taken a look and there's a bit in dark ... so you are correct ... it's full tomorrow.

But with a 7D with 300 f/4 + 1.4 still leaves a lot of black. No real success tonight ... I thought my luck was in when a 'plane in upper airspace passed close by.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Manual Focus, Manual Exposure, IS Off, Mirror Locked, cable released, ISO 100 1/250 at f7.1, Decent tripod. Cropped, slight levels, sharpened.

So what might I be doing wrong?
                Last edited by MX5; 18-03-2011, 20:54.

Comment

I got a decent shot of the moon last night using Av mode, spot focus and spot exposure metering with my 70-300 LIS on the 7D at 300mm, wide open - hand held. I think the key was the spot focus and spot exposure metering. Shot setting were ISO 200 at 300mm with f5.6 for 1/200th sec. Cropped quite hard

(its here if you want to have a look http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/.../largemoon.jpg)
                  My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Comment

I went for the Moon as well & this is my first ever attempt. I was pleased but wonder where I went wrong. I shot at 400mm using a 5D MII & my image looks tiny next to the 300mm posted previously. I'm very jealous so any advice good or bad appreciated.
                    Attached Files
                    5D MII, 24-105, 100-400,

Comment

Working...
                    X