Camera Strap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camera Strap

Nat I am not sure why you would want to detach the camera from the BR strap and put it on a neck strap, I find it very comfortable to simply grab the camera from my side and lift it to take the shot. I find this easier than having the camera hanging around my neck.

Comment

Sorry, but I have to jump in here. I've just bought a 75-300 and carrying it around does concern me. Back in 2003 (when I last had a 75-300) I had a whole range of equipment to carry so it all went into a large Lowepro shoulder bag. That gave me chronic backage, but that's another matter.
      Now, with just the 1100D and a 28-80 or an 18-55 (which I can stick in the odd pocket), I'm fairly okay with the stock Canon strap. My biggest gripe is not discomfort, but it constantly slips off my shoulder. I spend more time hoiking it back up than anything, which is a bugbear. Usually I wear a light cloth coat, not shiny or slippery, but the strap just won't stay put. However, that aside, I'm not too chuffed at relying on it to carry the 1100D with the 75-300 fitted - I just have visions of the weight of the zoom extending as it points downwards as I walk.

All this talk of the BR RS7 so I googled it and ended up at BR's website. On their Curve RS-7 page there are two "instructional" videos, which I had hoped would show the RS7 in use and maybe explain what's so great about it. In fact, the two videos are the same video on each, which merely explain who is likely to use their straps.
      So their videos and website have lost me completely. I'm still clueless about the RS7 and what's so great about it that it would be of use to me.
      Anyone?
      Last edited by NickM; 07-05-2013, 19:09.
      I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

I think when I approach the event horizon of trying to reduce weight ... I'd start seriously looking at m43 ... I'm sure (Dr) Jon would have recommendations. Although not m43 (but still a 1" sensor) I've added a Sony RX100 (ostensibly to replace my G10) just to see what other vendors are offering.

Comment

I've just realised one issue with the RS7 from looking at pictures. It attaches by the tripod mount, so the camera is upside down, but with the lens sticking horizontally out from your side. With the town I live in full of numbnuts who constantly barge past and don't give the requisite inch of clearance between you and them, I can see my 75-300 getting twatted in no time by someone's handbag. And at the very least, having the lens cap knocked off well before then.

Seems like it's either a stock strap with the lens hanging down and extended, or another bag to lug. :(
          I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

I never liked the body hanging by my side and upside down, so I use an OPTECH strap. It spreads the weight, by using the bootlace straps, I can also use the Canon E1 side strap, it has neoprene dots on the inside of the strap so it doesn't fall off the shoulder and being 60mm wide, it spreads the weight much better than the standard Canon cheese cutter.
            Colin

Comment

Carry Speed for me especially if carrying long lenses as they have another link strap that hooks onto the lens mounting plate so the camera is kept level as both camera and lens are supported. No need to take strap off to mount on tripod as the base incorporates an arca type mount as well.

Comment

Like Colin (and many others in this thread it seems) I use products from Op/Tech USA and find them to be of good quality & extremely flexible.

Their Uni-Loop System Connectors are nothing short of a revelation for me and I have them fitted to both my bodies, all of my big lenses and even the camera bags I keep the bodies/lenses etc.

They allow me to choose from a neckstrap (which has a nice elasticated 'shock absorber' built in to the padded neck part) a sling (where no weight is hanging round the neck) a harness (capable of carrying two large bodies & lenses - see Colin C) a wrist-strap or even no-strap depending upon which gear I want to carry at any particular time!

Unlike the Black Rapid by default they do not grab the tripod socket for their exclusive use but attach to wherever you would normally use any camera strap which means your gear is held right-way-up and where the manufacturer determined the best place to attach a strap might be!

The Quick Disconnect system is a revelation and is extremely strong.

I also have Manfrotto Q/R plates attached to my bodies and most of my lenses and don't have to disconnect anything nor mess about with adaptors when I want to change from strap/sling/harness to tripod for example.

Some of the posts I have mentioned Op/Tech can be read here;

Manufacturers website links;

The Super Classic Strap is a streamlined way to carry heavier SLR/DSLR cameras in a fixed position. It has the same sleek design as the Classic Strap - however, it adds our internal Control-Stretch system (found in our SOS Strap) and non-slip backing. This combination is ideal for the individual wanting a narrower strap design, but with the extra strength and comfort required for handling heavier equipment. Four different attachment options to accommodate various camera connection points or specific needs.

The Utility Series consists of (4) different options that address most carrying needs and preferred set-ups. The assortment includes the Utility Strap, Utility Sling, Utility Sling - Quick Adjust and the Utility Sling - Duo.

The Dual Harness is a comfortable and versatile way to carry two cameras or binoculars. The unique U-shaped neoprene neck pad evenly distributes the weight of your gear while absorbing the shock of your movements.

Hope that helps?

Kind regards,
                -=Glyn=-
                Last edited by GlynH; 07-05-2013, 22:33.

Comment

Another Optech user, million times better than Canon original.

Like GlynH have Manfrotto QR plate so can quickly attach to tripod/monopod.
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I am only ,at present, concerned with the weight of the 300mm lens + combo and hence the need to remove the rapid type strap quickly, when I wish to revert to my other zoom lenses and carry the camera round my neck. I do have a Canon Tripod collar which I fit to my 300mm lens for ease of carrying the camera and lens.

At present I am not very interested in the m43 type cameras but who knows what the future holds.

I will anyway read all the links that have been provided and come up with a solution to suit me.

Many thanks to all the members who have sent in their comments. Much appreciated.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I use Optech straps on my cameras and holdall and so I am quite familiar with it's weight reduction capabilities.

Nat
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nitro Nori View Post
                      Carry Speed for me especially if carrying long lenses as they have another link strap that hooks onto the lens mounting plate so the camera is kept level as both camera and lens are supported. No need to take strap off to mount on tripod as the base incorporates an arca type mount as well.
                      Hi! Can you give me a link to your Carry speed strap so that I can take a closer look? thanks

Nat
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I had a Optech sling strap on my camera and I've just took it off for one of these: Clicky.

It has a system where you can pull and tuck the camera up against your body, to make your camera safer and stop it bouncing about at your hip. But then it releases when you want to take a shot. The ladies has the curve - for been a lady, but they also do a man's version.

Not had much chance to use it in action. It uses the tripod mount. I'm not a much of a tripod user so that doesn't bother me. If it does I'll just swap back to my Optech which is currently residing on my bridge camera -Which is heavier than it looks.

Just another option to look at :smile:
                        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                        Di's Flickr

Comment

Di
                          I like the idea of that setup, it holds the camera with the lens downwards, rather than horizontally outwards like the BR RS7. However, that buckle looks in an unfortunate place, and also looks painful.
                          Is it more comfortable than it looks?

Also, where on earth do you buy? The joby website directs you to daymen.co.uk and any attempt to find a purchase page/section directs you back to the joby website. grrrr.
                          Nice product though.
                          Last edited by NickM; 09-05-2013, 17:57.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
                            I had a Optech sling strap on my camera and I've just took it off for one of these: Clicky.

It has a system where you can pull and tuck the camera up against your body, to make your camera safer and stop it bouncing about at your hip. But then it releases when you want to take a shot. The ladies has the curve - for been a lady, but they also do a man's version.

Not had much chance to use it in action. It uses the tripod mount. I'm not a much of a tripod user so that doesn't bother me. If it does I'll just swap back to my Optech which is currently residing on my bridge camera -Which is heavier than it looks.

Just another option to look at :smile:
                            Nice one Dee.
                            With my 'man boobs', that looks perfick

Comment

I intend going in for the Optech with the quick release connectors. I must take my time and decide on the ones I wish to have. Unfortunately all the photos and videos shown only illustrate a normal size lens on the camera. I would have liked to have seen one video with a longer lens attached. Will keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                                I intend going in for the Optech with the quick release connectors. I must take my time and decide on the ones I wish to have. Unfortunately all the photos and videos shown only illustrate a normal size lens on the camera. I would have liked to have seen one video with a longer lens attached. Will keep you posted.
                                Nat, I use the OpTech strap with my Sigma 150-500 without problem. I bought the strap plus the sling extension, along with an assortment of connectors (Proloop and 3/8" plus some extensions) and attach the Proloops to the lens tripod mount, the camera, and the camera battery-grip, and have two of the three connection points attached at any one time. Attaching by both the camera and the lens seems to angle the lens at approximately 45º which makes it both comfortable and secure to carry.

Due to the OpTech's use of both a male and female QR on the strap you need to make sure you have the correct attachment on the camera to get the most comfortable orientation when suspended, from memory I have male on the camera, female on the grip, and male on the lens, but by switching them you can have the lens facing forwards or backwards.
                                Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Working...
                                X