I'm looking to buy a ND filter kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking to buy a ND filter kit?

Could anybody advise me as to which ND filter kit to buy. I've seen a few for sale, but I think that I've feathered it down to two:

1. http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photogr...er-p-1331.html Plus http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photogr...ng-p-1338.html

2. Or http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photogr...ng-p-1338.html
    Is the price difference between the two units worth it? I understand that I'll have to buy the filters separately with the second kit. But I don't mind paying that little bit extra, for the quality? I'll be using the filter system on my Sigma 17-70 for now, but I will be buying a new 10-20 Sigma lens later on this year. Will this make any difference?

Thank you.

Re: I'm looking to buy a ND filter kit?

Hi, I bought the Cokin Z-Pro ND Grad kit (u960) which contains a Cokin Z-Pro series filter holder plus three Z series filters, the Cokin Z121L gradual grey G2 light ND2 filter, Z121M gradual grey G2 medium ND4 filter and Z121S gradual grey G2 soft ND8 filter. The whole kit for £119.00 from Bristol Cameras it also include the Cokin case.
    You'll need the adapter ring which costs £16.00 for the 72mm..

Comment

I've added a set of ND filters to my Christmas wish list. I was looking at the Kood ND set as people seem happy with them although I did look at the Cokin P set for around the same price (£50) as I still have some old A series filters from my film days.

Could you please explain why you are looking at the larger (and a lot more expensive) Z-Pro ones? My understanding from the Cokin site is the filters are all the same quality and material only the sizes differ so unless you have full or medium format cameras and video the larger ones would seem unnecessary on the lenses you mention?
      TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

The p-series filters are 84x84mm and cover lenses up to 82mm wide whilst the Z-Pro series are 100x150mm

Comment

Stephen, Thanks for the response. I appreciate they are bigger but why pay the extra if the P series will fit? The lenses Merlin mention have a 72 & 77mm filter thread so is there any other reason to buy the bigger filter if you don't have medium/full format cameras?
          TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

I bought a P series. Fine for most - but dont work well on wide angle as the holder can be seen. Works well for the 24-105 but not the 17-40 (on the 5DII).

Lee filters fit the 100mm series I believe?
            ef-r

Comment

Brian, thanks. I'll have to have a try, the L lenses have 77mm thread don't they? My 15-85 is 72mm so may be ok, will have to see.

Comment

You may have problems at 15mm but will be OK probably after 20mm

L lens have threads from 67-82mm apart from the large whites which have their filters at the camera end of the lens

It is not the size of the filter that counts but the field of view. Very wide angle lens will see the P series holder - on a crop with a 10-22 will see the holder at 10mm

Brian
                ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                  You may have problems at 15mm but will be OK probably after 20mm

It is not the size of the filter that counts but the field of view. Very wide angle lens will see the P series holder - on a crop with a 10-22 will see the holder at 10mm
                  Thanks for explaining that Brian.
                  I did research the filters before buying and chose the Z-Pro series for that reason (but I forgot). That extra 15mm makes a difference.

Comment

The Pro Series and Lee Filters are 100 x 150 so that you can slide the grads up and down in the holder to suit the picture you are taking. If you choose to have a lot of sky (or land) in the shot than normal, the larger filters can accomodate that without compromise.

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

Cheers Guys, that all makes sense!

Comment

WOW that is a BIG price difference. I'm also lookign for ND filter for my christmas list. The Cokin P ND's are about £12 each. The Cokin Z ND's are about £37!
                        Lookign at the Cokin sie they do a holder for wide angle lenses :

"P Wide-Angle Holder (BPW-700) P299:
                        This extra slim holder helps to eliminate vignetting down to 20mm focal length. Can hold 1 filter (can be a polarizer) and allows the use of filters with super wide lenses (focal lengths under 20mm) 35mm format."

With the Z filters 3 times the price of the P I think I'll go for the P and if needed at a later date the wide angle holder.
                        Rob
                        Canon 60D, Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 Macro, shutter remote
                        Shopping list: Tripod, 70-200mm tele zoom, fast prime, flash, filters ........

Comment

Right now thats decided what fileters do I add to my list for Santa :-)

I've got on my list so far:
                          ND2, ND4, ND8

Which grads should I go for? On the Cokin site they have a range of full grad half grad etc etc which do you guys find most useful?
                          Also which filters do you use. Cokin, Kood, Other ?
                          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by warrerj View Post
                            "P Wide-Angle Holder (BPW-700) P299:
                            This extra slim holder helps to eliminate vignetting down to 20mm focal length"
                            With the Z filters 3 times the price of the P I think I'll go for the P and if needed at a later date the wide angle holder.
                            Good luck and I think you'll wish you invested more wisely later as the holder will still be visible when using the "P Wide-Angle Holder" on the EF-S 10-20mm lens at 10mm.

Comment

I don't have a 10mm lens atm and it's quite a way down my shoppign list.

Apart from that I could get almost a full set (all ND and Grads) of ND P filters for the cost of 2 ND Z filters. If I then bought a 10mm I'd just get the filters I neede for that lens :-)

BTW anybody tried any of the cheap filters on 7Day Shop or ebay? Any good or a big no-no?
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X