I'm looking to buy a ND filter kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm looking to buy a ND filter kit?

It is the 20mm which is open to question. I suspect that is 20mm on a ff which is 13mm on a 1.6 body. Which means it would work on a 15-85mm without problem.

Rob's idea might be the cheapest - get P series for most lens and if he gets a 10-20 then buy a screw on ND filter
    ef-r

Comment

Hi,

I'm afraid that I don't understand the fascination with Cokin filters when there are two really good brands manufactured in the UK. Lee are are really super good but super expensive, Hitech are more affordable and have less colour cast than Cokin. I have recently thrown out all my old filters and upgraded to Hitech. They have a set of six filters, three NDs and three ND Grads for ninety pounds and these are very, very good. Highly recomended. Go for the wide angle holder and adapters.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Brian W View Post
        Hi,

I'm afraid that I don't understand the fascination with Cokin filters when there are two really good brands manufactured in the UK. Lee are are really super good but super expensive, Hitech are more affordable and have less colour cast than Cokin. I have recently thrown out all my old filters and upgraded to Hitech. They have a set of six filters, three NDs and three ND Grads for ninety pounds and these are very, very good. Highly recomended. Go for the wide angle holder and adapters.
        HiTech filters are cheaper, they do a job but are cheaper, Cokin are superior filters to HiTech which is why they are more expensive. Lee filters are regarded as the Rolls-Royce of filters and are very expensive.
        I understand that there were some issues with the QC of Cokin filters a few years ago but that was in the past. Cokin produce several grades of filters, A, P and X-Pro and Z-Pro the "pro" series are the better filters, hence the name. Cokin, as of this year, are now owned by Kenko-Tokina.
        All filters including Lee and Singh Ray have a slight colour cast, Lee towards yellow, Singh Ray towards green etc.. any colour cast can be corrected in PP.

BTW - Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post
          Cokin produce several grades of filters, A, P and X-Pro and Z-Pro the "pro" series are the better filters, hence the name.
          Hi this goes back to my previous question. From what I can tell from the Cokin website the filters are actually the same quality just different sizes. In which case the only issue for DSLR users is the vignetting at wide angle with the P series.

Brian, welcome aboard you've just muddied my filter waters even more though!

At the mo I'm still thinking that I will get the Kood set though. Lee too rich for my blood so unless I win the lottery they can be forgotton. As for the rest well there seems to be no clear winner so I'm thinking they will all be pretty much ok so i will go with price.
          TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

The kood holder works fine.

I have a set of P size filters and am quite happy with them.

I also have a screw on polarisor for the 17-40 (not really into ND as the 5DII goes to iso50)
            Last edited by briansquibb; 14-11-2011, 18:57.
            ef-r

Comment

not really into ND as the 5DII goes to iso50
              ISO 50 only gives you one stop - if you don't mind the accepted hit on dynamica range, and you don't need more than 1 stop then ISO 50 may be fine. :-)
              Non native ISO's are kind of like pushed or pulled film, never ideal - more of a 'get out of jail' card.:-)

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post
                All filters including Lee and Singh Ray have a slight colour cast, Lee towards yellow...
                So slight that I've never noticed a colour cast with the Lee filters I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                  ISO 50 only gives you one stop - if you don't mind the accepted hit on dynamica range, and you don't need more than 1 stop then ISO 50 may be fine. :-)
                  Non native ISO's are kind of like pushed or pulled film, never ideal - more of a 'get out of jail' card.:-)

Trev
                  Plus the polarisor = +3. If the light is that strong I will have the PL on anyway

On the 5DII iso 50 is better than iso100 , I often use it - DxO tests show this too - including an improved DR
                  ef-r

Comment

Always worth testing the non native ISO's because sometimes they are better. E.g. On the 1D MKIV quite a few people have found that the 2/3 iso's are better than the native ones.

Comment

Here is the link about the 5DII - everything is better at iso50 - click on the measurements tab and then the sub tabs like dynamic range

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cam...oggleBookmarks
                      ef-r

Comment

I'm happy with the accuracy points I've made regarding the 5dmk2 when I tested it I prefered the ISO 100 shots.
                        I don't like polarisers on wide lenses, so I'm not going to use it to cut light.

Just to recap:
                        ISO 50 remains just one stop, therefore no good if you need 2, or 6 or any other number of stops greater then 1.
                        ISO 50 as some sort of alternative to ND filters is a non- runner for me as a logical proposition.

More importantly for the OP, as he will not be using a 5Dmk2 or a 1Dmk4 as indicated by what he said :
                        I'll be using the filter system on my Sigma 17-70 for now, but I will be buying a new 10-20 Sigma lens later on this year. Will this make any difference?
                        Trev

Comment

The issue is that the Op doesn't have the benefit of iso50 - and the P series will cause vignetting with the wa. My suggestion was to put a screw on filter - I just happen to put on a PL. I can't imagine taking a land/sea/riverscape in bright sunlight without a PL - and it works for me.

ISO 50 is the iso of choice as it gives the best IQ so that is where I go if I can - putting a ND filter on instead of using iso50 is a non runner for me as a logical proposition.
                          ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
                            Always worth testing the non native ISO's because sometimes they are better. E.g. On the 1D MKIV quite a few people have found that the 2/3 iso's are better than the native ones.
                            Glenn, Sorry I'm referring specifically to the ISO 50 on the 5Dmk2 it a common misconception -
                            everything is better at iso50
                            I wasn't talking about the 1Dmk4 as it's a camera I never used or tried.
                            Trev

Comment

Glenn, Sorry I'm referring specifically to the ISO 50 on the 5Dmk2 it a common misconception -
                              Are you saying that the DxO figures are wrong then?
                              ef-r

Comment

The issue is that the Op doesn't have the benefit of iso50
                                LOL.. no it's not the issue, the guy just wants some advice on ND filters.

He doesn't need to know you have a 5Dmk2 that has ISO 50 and you're not keen on ND filters because you have ISO 50
                                That's were the thread got side-tracked.

Trev

Comment

Working...
                                X