Log off or shut down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Log off or shut down?

Thanks folks for your very good advice. I presume when you leave the machine on the whole day, it goes into standby mode after some time? I use Windows Vista. I raised this subject as I did not wish to "damage" my computer by leaving it on the whole day.
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 22-06-2015, 12:58.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

if you use the power settings in control panel and set them to never it wont go into standby just turn off your monitor if your not going to be using it for a while
      Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

To be honest, I'd upgrade from Vista. It's the Microsoft version of a red-headed step child and should be avoided at all cost.

EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
          To be honest, I'd upgrade from Vista. It's the Microsoft version of a red-headed step child and should be avoided at all cost.

I have to agree.
          Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
          http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
          https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Vista not a good version of Windows. Leaving a computer on isn't really an issue apart for power consumption.

Use to have a PC at home that also worked as answer machine and fax. That was running Windows 2000 and wasn't turned off or restarted for bit more than 2 years.

Like others here once mines on it stays on till end of day or I go out. If you really need to then just lock the machine and use a password to get back in. Just turn off all the hibernate and standby stuff it's more trouble than its worth.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Thanks again. I don't have any necessity to shut down or log off- no one that I distrust and what is on my computer are either some accountancy figures, letters or photographic stuff. Just as a matter of interest what sort of power consumption are we talking about if the computer is NOT shut down -unless I go out? In these days of energy conservation etc I often hear advice about not leaving anything on standby etc etc -even the TV!!!!!
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I leave my iMac in sleep mode & only really turn it off while I'm away or after an update which needs a shutdown (those not many though). I was told at an apple store that it would do no harm leaving it switched on in this way but more likely to do damage switching it on & off! My last iMac was left on & had no problems with it & I had it for 7 years.

Sue

Comment

Most things - by "things" I mean electrical equipment, fail when they're powered up. This is, in the main, due to the surge current which can be much higher than normal.
                  How often does a lightbulb fail when it's left on? Normally it goes when you switch the light on - same goes for anything else electrical.
                  The down side of this of course is higher electricity bills.
                  I have a Windows machine I use as a CCTV and file server which is on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It's been running for about 8 years now apart from some general maintenance (when I take a vacuum cleaner to the fans and suck the dust off the motherboard).
                  At work, the policy is to turn machines off every evening - we find most failures are in the morning when machines are powered up.
                  Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

Thank you very much Jock. Makes quite a lot of sense to me. Will keep my computer switched on when I am at home and switch off at night or when I am going out. Mind at rest now.

Comment

Working...
                    X